Chuck and the ACME Screw Split

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

w1vlf

Chuck and the ACME Screw Split

Post by w1vlf »

Hello All,

Seems to me someone made the comment on my previous post about a 3 jaw chuck" Did someone tighten that chuck with a breaker bar?"
That seems more likely the as look at the problem with my 4 jaw chuck.

One of the ACME thread adjusters in my 4 jaw 8" Wescott chuck is split where the key inserts. It also affects the threads and causes that particular jaw to bind.

For a really quick fix I ground the offending threads and reassembled the chuck. I would like to fix this. Found a piece of 5/8" - 10 left hand ACME rod on Ebay.

When you look at the turned down section in the middle of the screw, there is a little shoulder where the threads start up.
The threads seem to fade in at that point and I am not sure I can do that.

I have attached photos so you can see what I am talking about.

Thank you
PauLC
Attachments
acme1.jpg
acme2.jpg
w1vlf

Re: Chuck and the ACME Screw Split

Post by w1vlf »

Whoops one file was to big
Here it is

Also I am thinking that this screw is 5/8" 10 TPI LH
Attachments
acme3.jpg
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was the one who made that guess. I wonder why someone would abuse a chuck like that. What kind of operation could make a workpiece spin so badly you would need to tighten the chuck with a breaker bar? Especially a 4-jaw, which is stronger than a 3-jaw to begin with.

Maybe the operator was just untrained and always overtightened.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

never know, maybe the key went half way around the block and met the ways.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

w1vlf wrote:Found a piece of 5/8" - 10 left hand ACME rod on Ebay.
Something you are overlooking is that the piece in question will require heat treating. If it is used in the soft condition, it will fail quickly.
Armed with that thought, it is most likely that the material you mentioned will not be capable of being heat treated, although it may be capable of being pack hardened. Not a great choice.

Note that I did not say it won't work---I just expect it will fail early on, with far less punishment than it may be called upon to receive.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
w1vlf

Post by w1vlf »

hi Harold,
This the piece I was going to buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-10-LH-Acme- ... 46270cc19b

I don't know a lot about hardness but when I removed the original screw I hit it with the edge of a screw driver and it deformed rather badly.
A file grinds the screw metal rather easily.

Where would I find the correct material or the exact piece?

PauLC
W1VLF
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

w1vlf wrote:I don't know a lot about hardness but when I removed the original screw I hit it with the edge of a screw driver and it deformed rather badly.
A file grinds the screw metal rather easily.
Then I would say you've found your reason for the failure, and clear support for Harold's assertion regarding use of soft screws.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! I agree with BadDog. The failure is most likely because the builder cut every possible corner. Such objects really should be hardened, to prevent deformation and premature failure, just as you've experienced. Can't be too hard, either, otherwise it would lack shock strength. If I was to guess, I'd say something around 50Rc would be good---with the component made from 4140. I expect you'd be hard put upon to find the threaded material made of that material, however.

With that in mind, buy the material you found and give it a go. It won't be any worse than what you have, and will most likely serve well enough. Just keep in mind that the material isn't heat treated, and will be easy to damage (which is quite obvious). Mean time, keep your eyes open for a better quality chuck.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
stevec

Post by stevec »

I agree with Harold, at that price give it a go. The only problem might be how do you plan to make the square "socket" for the chuck key? Drill and then machine corners with a small end mill?
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
Harold_V wrote:If I was to guess, I'd say something around 50Rc would be good---with the component made from 4140. I expect you'd be hard put upon to find the threaded material made of that material, however.
Harold
Green Bay Mfg. Has Acme threaded rod in several different materials
(Including 4140). They offer .625 x 10 in both left and right hand thread.
You have to scan down the catalog page to the 4140 section.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

When you look at the turned down section in the middle of the screw, there is a little shoulder where the threads start up.
The threads seem to fade in at that point and I am not sure I can do that.
A little file work can soften the thread start/end. I suppose the feature is to allow the tread to keep riding over the discontinuity in presence of slop between the jaw and the crew threads.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

stevec wrote:I agree with Harold, at that price give it a go. The only problem might be how do you plan to make the square "socket" for the chuck key? Drill and then machine corners with a small end mill?
Maybe drill and then single point broach (is that a term)?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...