Bridgeport right angle attschment rebuild

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

bartech

Bridgeport right angle attschment rebuild

Post by bartech »

:idea: Hi I need some input on rebuilding right angle gear drive , for my Bridgeport ! I have located bearings , gears seemed to be ok. I had to make a new lock nut for setting bearing .
With all that being said ! the r8 drive that goes up inside of spindle must have been crashed and stuck a few times on key, it was spun and looks like it had been stuck a few times !
I was wondering what you guys thought about machining a groove down to the root of key in case it happens again ???? so it does not ruin my spindle ? I do realize it will be a pain to get lined up , unless I machine top off ? also were can I get those parts if I so choose to replace thanks
ken572

Re: Bridgeport right angle attschment rebuild

Post by ken572 »

Hello :!: bartech :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)

As you have found out, we have members
that really enjoy helping each other, and
sharing there skill’s and or knowledge,as
well as there project’s, idea’s, and more.

In order for this to happen smoothly there
are a few things that are NEEDED:

1)Correct brand names of what ever
you are asking and/or talking about.

2)Correct Serial numbers, Model No,
Date, and or Country of Manufacturer,
Size’s, Colors, Clear Picture’s of the item,
and or it’s data plates, and anything else
you can supply for the members to work
with.

3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:

4) Making sure that you put your
WORLDLY LOCATION in your
PROFILE so it show’s up to the left
of all of your POST’S under your name.
VERY HELPFUL, to member’s trying
to assist you.

5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDY to help the
next member, to read and learn from.

NOTE: CLEAR PICTURE’S
(ARE ALWAYS)
VERY HELPFUL.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
spro

Re: Bridgeport right angle attschment rebuild

Post by spro »

That would be the #3 attachment. These changed over time. There should be more information of the evolution. The castings changed and the drive changed. The smaller heads/attachments used a straight shank which was gripped by a collet. The #3 is usually seen with the driver of R 8 profile. It became that a Bridgeport or Hardinge collet was expensive and the drive was locked to the spindle more directly by being R 8 with the key.
Collets are not as expensive as before and it may be best that over torque slips in the collet of the quill, especially when you are trying it out. There is a keyway to drive and the shaft is .5 or something normal. It will be easier to align and get a grip on at this time.
I've gone lazy and get much information from what is sold on Ebay. I have seen various attachments sold down to the basic casting and these sellers already are rebuilding them. I would do a search there and contact if necessary.