Newbie q`s

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Newbie q`s

Post by SteveHGraham »

When I mentioned alcohol here, people complained about the fire risk, but if you think about it, the fire from one cc of alcohol is not likely to do much harm.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:When I mentioned alcohol here, people complained about the fire risk, but if you think about it, the fire from one cc of alcohol is not likely to do much harm.

Ohhhhhhh.....that kind of alcohol......
:wink:

Kind I was thinkin' of shouldn't be used until after the project is completed.

:lol:
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Jorgens wrote:Hi again.

As I am messing around with the mill, I have tried to do a surface job on a alublock with a Ø16 endmill.
I can feel some small "grooves" alongside the direction of the way I milled it-why doesn`t the surface become completely smooth?
I did a offset of 10 mm between every cut. The head is adjusted plane to the table. Is there a thumb rule of how much i should overlap?
I was running @ 1900 rpm`s and sloow feed.

Jørgen
You didn't say if you did it all in one cut or had a rough and light finish cut. If you did it all with one cut then you may be seeing the result of the end mill being deflected to one side from the cutting forces.

I generally over lap about 2/3 of the cutter diameter. I use a fly cutter for flat work that has a 3/4" shank and uses a 1/2" tool.

Richard W.
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

stevec wrote:I don't use WD40 for anything, it has some water displacing characteristics one of which is to absorb water. If left on metal long enough for the chemicals to evaporate the water remains and can actually cause rust.
Have you found this to be relevant for aluminum?
stevec

Post by stevec »

No oldvan, I don't find it relevant for aluminum, nor do I have any aluminum machine tools. :wink:
Jorgens

Post by Jorgens »

Richard_W wrote:
Jorgens wrote:Hi again.

As I am messing around with the mill, I have tried to do a surface job on a alublock with a Ø16 endmill.
I can feel some small "grooves" alongside the direction of the way I milled it-why doesn`t the surface become completely smooth?
I did a offset of 10 mm between every cut. The head is adjusted plane to the table. Is there a thumb rule of how much i should overlap?
I was running @ 1900 rpm`s and sloow feed.

Jørgen
You didn't say if you did it all in one cut or had a rough and light finish cut. If you did it all with one cut then you may be seeing the result of the end mill being deflected to one side from the cutting forces.

I generally over lap about 2/3 of the cutter diameter. I use a fly cutter for flat work that has a 3/4" shank and uses a 1/2" tool.

Richard W.
I did it in 1 cut- approx 2/10 mm. 2/3 of the diameter, thanks, I`ll give it a try next time!

Jørgen