Mill project help needed

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Dan381

Mill project help needed

Post by Dan381 »

I have restored antique electric fans for about 20 years and have decided it is time for a small mill to reproduce some parts needed. My first project will be on a 3/8 diameter shaft 3 inches long. I need to reduce 2" on the end of the shaft to .359 diameter.

I would appreciate ideas on how best to accomplish this on a vertical mill.

Dan
SteveHGraham

Re: Mill project help needed

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would use a lathe. Just chuck the shaft and turn it to a smaller diameter by moving the cutter toward the headstock.

On a mill, you could use a rotary table with a chuck. The cut you're doing is long; if it were short, you could mount the shaft upright and use a straight end mill to cut into the diameter as you turn. With a long cut, you could mount the table on its side with the shaft horizontal and lower an end mill onto it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I would chuck the shaft verticals then use a borringng head to reduce the shaft size. Turn the cutter inward and you are off and running.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

Chuck the3/8 stock in a collet and hold a lathe cutter in the milling vice. Feed the stock up and down with the quill and the cutter in with the table.
Thought I'd try it here when making a gear cutter mandrel. Got virtually zero runout.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PkT3 ... G_0920.jpg

Greg
GK1918

Post by GK1918 »

Greg's right on with this one. sometimes you gotta think outta the box.......
Dan381

Post by Dan381 »

Thanks to all of you for your help. I really appreciate it.
Dan
Patio

Post by Patio »

I think, if you have not bought the mill yet and are just kind of working things out, I would consider a lathe first. Especially if shafts and bushings, might be what you are after, for the fans. Light weight milling can be done on a lathe, if necessary.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!