Endmill/Insert Question

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

revrnd

Endmill/Insert Question

Post by revrnd »

2015-01-13 Endmills - RESIZED.jpg
I was supplied w/ the above 2 endmills sometime between '88 & '92 @ my place of employment. The LH 2 insert endmill is 1 1/4" in dia' & is marked, "M19-1250-4". The RH 3 insert endill is 1 1/2" in dia' & is marked, "M19-1500-4". We were also given 2 packages of inserts:

TCMT-32.52 TTM
3 insert holder has been noted on package

TCMM-32.52 THM
plastic, alum' & cast iron was noted on package @ the time. More recently DO NOT USE has been added.

Both insert styles are uncoated.

Widia is moulded into the insert package w/ a Tyson Tool label affixed.

Since I set up my shop I've used the two endmills, but haven't been entirely satisfied w/ the results (so so surface finish). I don't recall an issue when I was using them @ work (on a Bridgeport larger than my 9 x 49). I've tried contacting Tyson & Widia but they weren't able to help me.

Just curious if anyone can comment on what I have and any suugestions to improve my results?
GlennW

Re: Endmill/Insert Question

Post by GlennW »

THM: 'Main grade for milling short-chipping ferrous materials, nonferrous metals, and alloys as well as plastics. Very good edge strength and sharpness.'

TTM: 'Grade with balanced wear-resistance and toughness properties for medium duty steel machining operations.'
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
revrnd

Re: Endmill/Insert Question

Post by revrnd »

Glenn Wegman wrote:THM: 'Main grade for milling short-chipping ferrous materials, nonferrous metals, and alloys as well as plastics. Very good edge strength and sharpness.'

TTM: 'Grade with balanced wear-resistance and toughness properties for medium duty steel machining operations.'
Thanks. That confirms what was noted. At the time I wasn't sure who added the note, whether it was the vendor or our supervisor (an electrician, don't ask).

BTW I just noticed, in the TCMM package there is 1 coated insert. I guess that's the reason for the "gold -> steel" notation on the package.