RF-45

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

RF-45

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Oldernewbie asked about the RF-45. The clones are pretty common, and kind of wimpy. Yesterday, I was at the suspension shop getting some springs done for our travel trailer, they had a Force brand RF-45 clone, the length of the column dovetail was shorter, gearbox was smaller, and the pivot circle was 1/3 smaller. Mine is labeled Advance, the house brand for Thomas Skinner. In the mid-90s at work they bought one, with the accessories, tailstock, 6" 3jaw,6" rotary table, endmills, face mill and collets, they spent over $5000. So when I found a nice one for $1750 with a lathe,I jumped on it. That's the local price of a rough Chinese round column RF-30 type with tooling. I think it had been CNCed, but not by the PO, he was a cabinetmaker. It's not perfect, it only has a 20amp light switch for a 2hp motor and no dials, but otherwise good shape. But you have to expect some work when you pay a dime on the dollar.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Dave_C

Re: RF-45

Post by Dave_C »

I've been looking at some machines in the RF-45 style with the idea of doing a CNC conversion on them.

After an exhaustive review of over 10 different clones, it becomes obvious why they are clones. Some have no oiling system, some are very low spindle speed, some have small X,Y envelopes, some have poor column designs, some skimped on the castings period and the list goes on.

The RF-45 is the heaviest of the class but also the most expensive! By the time I buy a RF-45 and convert it I would be better off buying a Tormach 1100 CPNC.

Why? The castings are designed different from the beginning. The base is designed to mount the servo motor on the back and not stick out the front like most conversions. (Big deal in my thoughts)

The column has 6 bolts, is more rigid with a closed front design where all the rest use an open slot up the front.

So no "throw away parts" with the Tormach and no patches to cover removed gear and spindle drive holes.

Most of the clones are just cheap copies of the RF-45 to say the least.

You get what you pay for,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
mfletch

Post by mfletch »

For what I do my Warco is just right got no space for anything larger

Downwindtracker2

Obviously, the CNCing of mine wasn't a success, otherwise the cabinetmaker wouldn't have picked it up and sold it to me cheap.

I like the power feed and DRO, it didn't take long in the second batch of chips to put them on the "I want list". I may have to go back to work.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I have an acquaintance in Abbotsford that has a FR-45 style mill converted to CNC and he is happy making gun parts for his competition match rifles with it. Not sure what make he used. I'm satisfied with my unaltered Grizzly version. Ya don't have to ever worry about software upgrades etc., unless you count loosing your mind. :wink:

Pete
Downwindtracker2

Pete, I've competed in Farky class at Mission, so I might know him.
Ray