Optimum mill drill advise please

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Tony Z

Optimum mill drill advise please

Post by Tony Z »

Hi Guys

This is my first post here so I think I'll share a little about myself...

I am from South Africa. A Marine Engineer by trade and aircooled VW enthusiast for fun.

I am busy building myself a workshop and in it I am planning on putting a Mill/drill machine.
The problem I have is that the only dovetail Z-axis machine I can find in SA is made by Optimum.

I have considered the second hand market, but I have been burned many times by trying to get bargains and dont really trust used machines that have been used all day for 30 years. So for this reason I have decided to go for a new machine.
Unless I win the lotto, then I am going to have to stick with a mill/drill.

I do have 3ph 440V and work in Metric. Sorry guys, imperial makes very little sense to me.
I cannot fathom why fractional is easier to use than counting from 1 to 10... :mrgreen:

So... the choices I have...
Optimum MB4 or F40E
They are both about the same price....

which one and why?

The sales pitch on their website is drawing me towards the MB4 because of the MT4 spindle and also the added Z-axis height.

Any advise and/or experience with these machines will be highly appreciated.
Optimum MB4 or Optimum F40E

thanks
SteveHGraham

Re: Optimum mill drill advise please

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have nothing useful to add, but imperial does suck. Bad.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Get the dovetailmachine don't worry once you get bifocals you will not be able to visual size anything anyway

Long live Wentworth :P :P hihi
Carm

Post by Carm »

Howzit!

It would be helpful if you gave some details on the sort of work you envision.
The F40E has more features to my mind, and I would prefer the expense of tooling for a #3 Morse versus #4 ! The "Bohrleistung Stahl" of 32mm seems inflated to me...even a large #3 Morse drill could easily stall that machine . Or worse.
For a mill drill, tooling with the common garden R-8 would be much cheaper, but then perhaps this machine having German production oversight is superior?
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

At the moment I am doing a few aircooled VW engines from time to time.
At first the machine will be used for cutting barrel sealing surfaces on the case, flycutting and counterboring the heads along with lightening flywheels on a rotary table.

But as time leads on, you never know what work I might be able to get.
I have spent 15 years at sea and its seriously becoming time to come home.

As I mentioned above, I cannot find any other dovetail machines. They all have the round column. And I would seriously rather pay once. Hense a R8 isnt an option.
Unfortunately I cannot double my budget and get a decent sized floor standing machine.

Carm... then you say the F40E has more features, what features?

FWIW, when I place the order for the machine, it will be the first one in my area. There are a few BF30 varios around, but I cannot justify the expense of a variable speed machine when I can get a bigger sturdier machine for less.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

*bump*
Carm

Post by Carm »

Tony, it seems you have thought this out well and I made my comments based on a quick look on a vendor's website, biased to my own requirements. So not helpful to you.

With your skills and aspirations it would seem finding a used vertical knee mill would be the ticket. They are very versatile especially for auto type work. Yes, there is a sacrifice because of that...rigidity, "precision", toolholding...doesn't stop people doing "works for me".

I don't know where you are, but the highveldt at one time had a number of engineering shops that must have gone to CNC if they are still an enterprise. My wife's nephew just emigrated from Port Elizabeth apparently also once an industrial area.

Good Luck!
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

Yea, for a while I was looking for a birdgeport or similar, but in CPT we dont have much of a second hand market and when I do find one, the price is pretty high and I fear that they have been used to the point it is worn out with plenty slop on the table or head.
And I dont know enough about these things to want to refurbish them. I have never done a course on milling, I have learned from watching those who know and then doing it myself. I wouldnt say I am good with the machines, but I am far from useless. I unfortunately know nothing about the terms and slang used...
Which is my reason for looking at new machines large enough to do what I am looking to do.

I have been in touch with the Optimum distributor in CPT and he has access to all the machines. He is landing a MB4 next week. But if I want a F40E or BF46, then its 20% deposit up front before they import it. Not a good option if you dont like it when it lands...

So if anyone has anything to add about the Optimum machines, I'd greatly appreciate it