Boring Heads

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Boring Heads

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveM wrote:Bill,

Just like cross-slides and compounds, boring heads can be found that the dial shows how much the head moves, or how much your hole diameter will change.

I think the direct-reading would be preferable for two reasons: one is that you are reading exactly how your work will be affected and two, you will have twice the number of marks, so it will be easier to see a thou of diameter change (on the other kind, a though is halfway between the marks).

Steve
Yes....good point!
I have two 2" boring heads. One is direct reading, the other not. You would think it's no big deal, but the non-direct one is a real pain to tune in to get that last thou.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Re: Boring Heads

Post by GlennW »

I agree with pete.

I have a 2" Criterion boring head and a 3" Wholhaupter Boring/Facing head. You'd have to show me how it could get any better.

I've covered from 1/4" to nearly 8" bores with them, so I don't really see the need for a 1".

Actually, a 2" Criterion (DBL-202) which has a cross hole, would probably do anything you might run into if you don't need facing capability.

Wholhaupter also makes a 2" boring/facing head. UPA-2 I believe.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!