involute in imperial gears

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

froibel

involute in imperial gears

Post by froibel »

i been reading for some time now on some books in still i dont have any luck on how to distingues which is which.
i dont have proper education/knowlegde on doing this kind of project. i just rely on my work experience. hope any one could enlighten me on defference on this one. book refference im reading is Machiniry handbook 29edition in american machinist handbook.

some formula i been following but still so little i understand hope u guys could lend me ur hand
tornitore45

Re: involute in imperial gears

Post by tornitore45 »

Involute refer to the shape of the tooth as a modern alternative to the Epicycloidal shape.
Imperial refer to the measurement standard as an alternative to the Metric System.

You can have any tooth shape in any measurement system.
As a matter of fact a Module 1 metric gear would be identical to an Imperial Diametral Pitch (DP) = 25.4 gear, however in practice non integer, odd ball DP for an Imperial gear are rare.

Other than that, I suggest reading an inexpensive book "Gears and Gears Cutting" by Ivan Law. Can be found on line.

The Machining Handbook is most useful as a collection of standard and numerical values, but is not the best teaching source, although much can be learned from it.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
froibel

Re: involute in imperial gears

Post by froibel »

Ty very much sir especialy on suggesting books I need to read