Bridgeport Round Ram M head

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

clinch670

Bridgeport Round Ram M head

Post by clinch670 »

Guys
I have a 1943 Bridgeport Round Ram M head that I am rebuilding. It's a nice machine for small parts and it was in excellent shape. It is however missing a couple of parts that I need. I need the quill worm feed wheel that goes on the front of the head and I also need the larger wheel that adjusts the worm gear in the ram. Can anybody help me to please locate these parts.

Thanks
Clinch670
SteveM

Re: Bridgeport Round Ram M head

Post by SteveM »

ebay or plazamachinery.com.

We have a local Bridgeport rebuild / parts shop here run by ex-Bridgeport employees, but all they do is j-heads.

Steve
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Clinch,

It's really not too difficult to make your own hand wheels and it's a good little project. Here's what I made for my J Head mill.

Ted
Attachments
011-1.jpg
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

shootnride wrote:It's really not too difficult to make your own hand wheels and it's a good little project. Here's what I made for my J Head mill.
Nicely done.

I suspect that if you found ANY handwheel big enough, you could make an adapter to mate it to the shaft.

Steve
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

SteveM wrote:I suspect that if you found ANY handwheel big enough, you could make an adapter to mate it to the shaft. Steve
Very true Steve. I just made this one from a piece of 5/8" plate steel that I had on hand then made a center hub to fit the shaft on the mill and heat shrunk it into the hand wheel. Works fine.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
spro

Post by spro »

Wheels are nice and made in America and broken and gone or not. Before that was an issue, there were handles for cross slides and many were made to replace lathe's cross and compound slides. When I did look, they didn't fit my requirement but they fit other things. I'm talking about a handle which has a ball opposite the primary finger handle. These are quite balanced and one's fingers can play that handle.
Some hand wheels do not have the same fit as that. While looking at these, you may find the wheel.