My new to me Bridgeport mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WJH

My new to me Bridgeport mill

Post by WJH »

Here is the mill, delivered to my workshop. Not sure how old it is, but I can say the Z axis has the frosting on it still, and the X axis is very smooth with no binding at the ends. The Y axis gets tighter at the extremes however. No ridges on any of the ways. Has a Bridgeport power feed. Need to buy a VFD for the motor and a static phase converter for the power feed. Also need to buy proper spindle oil. I ran the Mill yesterday and every function on the J head works, very smooth and quiet. Came with a set of r8 collets. Started to clean the ways, moved the Z axis it's entire motion, now from the top to bottom, something inside is crying for lube. I need to research the manuals for these things. Also, the ways all have zerc fittings for a grease gun. I need to rig something up that squirts way oil into them under pressure. No 1 shot lube.
IMG_0248s.jpg
John Evans

Re: My new to me Bridgeport mill

Post by John Evans »

Serial # is on the knee right above the Y axis crank . You can google BP serial #s and get several sites that have that dating info. With the side door pre mid 70s for sure.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The power feed is a clue as well. That's the old style. Also, newer models have a 2 horse motor on the head. That one is most likely 1½ horse.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
WJH

Post by WJH »

Been cleaning it up, applying way oil, cleaning out the old chips on it.
The Z way has all the frosting still on it, however the gib was loose. Tightened it up, but the knee still rocks about .0015 to .002 from moving up to moving down. Shouldn't be an issue I don't think. For what I paid for it, I'm very happy. Let me take some more pictures!
Oh, does anyone know which VFD I should buy for it?
WJH

Post by WJH »

Looked up the serial number, it was made in 1959!
Also, I ordered a Teco Westinghouse 7300CV vector drive VFD for it, can't wait to do rigid tapping with it :twisted:

More pics!
IMG_0249s.jpg
IMG_0250s.jpg
IMG_0254s.jpg
Hey, wheres the Z lock? Theres one by the Z handle, but not one near the gib?
IMG_0252s.jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

The Z lock by the crank is the only one.And be sure to keep the cam ring and pins well oiled .
www.chaski.com
WJH

Post by WJH »

John Evans wrote:The Z lock by the crank is the only one.And be sure to keep the cam ring and pins well oiled .
I need to look at an exploded parts diagram to see what your talking about. Is there an easy way to get to them to oil?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

OIL CAN ! LOL The cam ring is on top of the head around the quill,1/2 of the high/low speed change system along with the lever on the side. Has the lever with knob sticking out to the right.Look at your second picture,lever pointing straight out to you.
www.chaski.com
WJH

Post by WJH »

John Evans wrote:OIL CAN ! LOL The cam ring is on top of the head around the quill,1/2 of the high/low speed change system along with the lever on the side. Has the lever with knob sticking out to the right.Look at your second picture,lever pointing straight out to you.
Doh! I thought you were referencing the Z lock mechanism. I found a rehab manual online for the bridgeport. At this time I am going to take the table and saddle off to give a good cleaning. Hoping the previous owners didn't use grease on the ways. The Z has me worried a little bit. Perhaps I should learn how to scrape and get the Y to not tighten at the extremes... Screw it, will just clean it up, use it as is and fix what ever proves need fixing.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

That's the idea ,fix what has to be fixed and use the dang thing.
www.chaski.com
WJH

Post by WJH »

John Evans wrote:That's the idea ,fix what has to be fixed and use the dang thing.
I bought a grease gun, cut the bottom off, and tig welded a flat base plate to it so its sealed and stands upright when not in use. To my horror, old grease shot out when I injected way oil under pressure to all the ways... Good thing I have an engine hoist, everything needs to come off for a good cleaning :(

Also the X axis gib adjustment screw is frozen. Should be able to fix that when I remove the table.
pete

Post by pete »

Well in my opinion it's 100% nesissary to pull ANY new or used mill apart just to run general checks and/or cleaning. It isn't that hard and it certainly doesn't take that long. That cleaning, adjustment of the feed nut's, and gib adjustment will make an unbelievable difference to the feel and accuracy of your machine. And if it's got tapered gibs? Adjusting those should tighten up your knee if there's not too much wear and it get's tight at the bottom of it's travel.

Anyone who uses grease on a machine just because it's got those zerks is a fool that can't be bothered to do just a bit of research. You better check the head if it's got a zerk on the upper right hand side of the head. It's BIG bucks to strip the head down and clean that out.

Pete