Hardiinge & Cincinnati mills on Phoenix C/list

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Hardiinge & Cincinnati mills on Phoenix C/list

Post by John Evans »

Went up to this estate deal to have a look ,pictures on CL crappy. Hardinge is a universal with vertical head and a bunch of 5-c collets. The Cincy has a home brew VFD on it with the dangest wiring mess i ever saw but it works !! It has a collet chuck and a shaper head .
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/tls/5090655280.html
Cincy probably could be had for $1500 talking to the gent handling things.
Attachments
hardange 004.JPG
hardange 005.JPG
hardange 006.JPG
hardange 001.JPG
hardange 007.JPG
www.chaski.com
pete

Re: Hardiinge & Cincinnati mills on Phoenix C/list

Post by pete »

Not currently working, but I sure would love to have that Hardinge universal.

Pete
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Is that Hardinge truly universal? As in swivel table and PTO for helical milling? Or by that do you just mean horizontal with a vertical adapter head?

I always wanted a heavier mill. I can't tell from the pics, but what is that Cinci?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

Tony's Lathes UK site has a real good reference for the smaller Hardinge horizontal plain and universal mills. Very tough to properly see in that picture, but I think it has the proper universal type table. An email would make certain. The geared Hardinge dividing heads designed for those universal mills almost always sell for more than the mills do. That doesn't stop me from wanting one though.

Pete
spro

Post by spro »

I see it too, Pete. There is that slight bump-out and a vernier.
spro

Post by spro »

Russ that Cinci is very interesting. Notice it has a short table but there is power going right under what appears to be the "Turret"! The third pic shows the shaper head attached. Quite a package. We do need to find out what this is, for whatever reason. :)
Last edited by spro on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Yep your seeing the same thing I am Spro. But I'm still not quite 100% certain. Just too much old congealed oil, dust, and dirt, and a bit too far away in the picture to say it's a universal and be positive about that. Plus I don't know enough about those Hardinge mills to know if there's any other identifiers on the rest of the machine that designates what is and isn't a universal.

Pete
spro

Post by spro »

My info, catalog is close but buried. I think a TUM is the universal and what makes it that is the swivel table. I remember making a mistake about that a few years ago. There is no other reason for the hump and that tiny area above it. See it was cleaner there. That when they set it back to "0" and then some time grime. Another thing is the gear table drive for these. There is no reason for the end caps to be off the table (extensions which contain the cutting fluid) unless there was a gear table-feed. Those things are a serious stuff and used to cost a pile.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I went by and saw it this evening.

The Hardinge absolutely is a universal table with the OEM vertical spindle adapter. Looks like a pretty complete unit.

The Cinci is an old tracer mill, which is why it has that bizarre mill head adapter. The tracer unit also appears mostly complete and not in bad shape. It's hanging from a strap under the slotter (which is absolutely massive compared to a Bridgeport slotter). It also has some surprisingly impressive speeds with a 4k top end. If it had a BT/CAT/Int30 spindle I might have bought it. But it's a BS9 spindle. That combined with the really jacked up controls kind of sours the deal. The control cabinet is pretty much completely gutted, all rewired with some hundreds of yards of (all) red wire in (as stated previously) a home brew VFD. Very impressive in that it seems to work quite well, but would be absolutely TERRIBLE to try to support. Rewiring the original cabinet contactors and running straight from 3ph is the obvious solution from my perspective.

Certainly could be addressed, but neither really make sense for my shop.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

Yep sure have to agree with you about the wiring/VFD? Gut it and start over.

Spro, yeah TUM was the universal. There's a few threads about them over on the PM Bridgeport/Hardinge forum.

Pete