Looking at an m-head tonight - what to look for

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Looking at an m-head tonight - what to look for

Post by SteveM »

Rex wrote:One workaround: Get an ER32 collet chuck with 7B&S arbor. With that you can fashion a simple non-ejecting drawbar and leave it in place. I bought one for mine off ebay for about $50
I got one of those for mine. I looked on ebay and didn't see any, but it may show up again. Good solution.

Steve
Rex

Post by Rex »

I think you still need a set ofcollets, at least the common sizes.
The 1/2" for a straight drill chuck arbor.
The 3/8" for a common milling cutter size.

Sometimes you need that extra 1" of Z that you lose with the ER32 chuck.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Rex wrote:I think you still need a set ofcollets, at least the common sizes.
The 1/2" for a straight drill chuck arbor.
The 3/8" for a common milling cutter size.

Sometimes you need that extra 1" of Z that you lose with the ER32 chuck.
I have a complete set by 16ths and the mill comes with a set from about 3/8 on up. I will fill in the rest of his set.

It's good to have some end mill holders, as they are more secure with the grub screw engaging the weldon shank.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

I looked at ebay recently and there are a number of M and H heads (past and current). You need to look closely at them. There are a few which have been modified and were just beaters. Others require long shaft motors or ones where the end bearing housing projects below the mounting point. It fits into the space of the drive step pulley ,wide side.
Most all of these heads have the larger dia pulley or gear closer to the quill bearings so it matches the steps of the motor pulley. When you weigh these motors and the originals are 53lbs, a newer 3/4-1 hp motor has the same shaft dia ( 3/4") and is less weight. So is it 3Ø ? The cheapest static converter still gives it 1/2-3/4 hp and under that load the phases become more even. Or 3Ø and use two sections of a 5-7 stacked pulley and go VFD . Heck, sell that pulley. It all depends where you are at the time. In the end, it is the spindle or quill bearings.
spro

Post by spro »

Funny thing happened while searching for "Craftsman" electric motors. I came upon the exact type of motor I've been talking about. Sears wasn't building electric motor but Westinghouse, GE and others were. I describe a motor constructed that the outer shaft bearing projects beyond the bell case. Modifying the case allows the motor to be attached to the original adaptor ring atop the head cover. Because the bearing housing projects deep, the 2 1/4" shaft equals a 3 1/2"-4" shaft ~ and the larger ones have the 3/4" dia shaft which fit the original step pulley.
Btw, I didn't buy it. It is funny in a way, that somebody will have a problem with that projection from the base mounting, powering a wood lathe, grinder or whatever. When another was looking for that motor because of its design. The base holds the plate for electric panel, drum switch, etc. when it is vertical.