King 9 x 49 Pin broken in Spindle Bore

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

revrnd

King 9 x 49 Pin broken in Spindle Bore

Post by revrnd »

Mon' night when I was installing the R8 collet holder in my mill I realized that the small pin that "interacts" w/ the slot in the holder was broken. Is this pin necessary? If yes, is it difficult to replace? I see on the bottom "face" of the spindle that there are 2 blind holes approx' 1/4" in dia', are these for a spanner to remove this part? If yes, which direction would this be rotated to remove, CW or CCW?

Not really sure how it would've been broken. From what I can tell from looking using a mirror & flashlight, the pin is a split pin.
WJH

Re: King 9 x 49 Pin broken in Spindle Bore

Post by WJH »

Just about everyone removes them. Not needed for collets or anything else
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

As long as what remains isn't causing any problems forget about it. The pros are 50-50 on using/keeping them. A slipping collet with one in there is a good way to screw up the spindle bore.
www.chaski.com
Patio

Post by Patio »

Assuming that you have a BP or clone mill, the 2 blind holes are for a spanner and yes it comes of like a regular nut. I had to replace mine, as it is necessary, if one installs a right angle head. Outside of that I have no idea what else it is used for.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Patio wrote:Assuming that you have a BP or clone mill, the 2 blind holes are for a spanner and yes it comes of like a regular nut. I had to replace mine, as it is necessary, if one installs a right angle head. Outside of that I have no idea what else it is used for.
If this "nut" is removed, do I have to watch out for anything that might fall out?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

No! But the set screw locking it may have another one below it. Also when reinstalling that nut DO NOT over tighten it as you can deform the quill. Go online and down load the free BP manual as if yours is a clone the info will be good. And on a BP that pin's thread is 1/4X32 !!
www.chaski.com
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Here's a tutorial on replacing the collet alignment screw in a Bridgeport.

http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/page/487497676

Cheers,

Bill C.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Thanks guys for the help.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Bro found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLIa3ATVsx4#t=1406

Checking on Ebay the replacement screws are US sourced & are priced from 26 bucks CDN (including shipping) & up. Have any of the Canadian members found a source on our side of the border?