looking at a very basic sieg

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: looking at a very basic sieg

Post by tornitore45 »

It's the cost of the accessories for any mill that add up. It's very easy to spend twice and even more on those accessories that the mill cost.
Luckily I did not know this fact, otherwise I would never have started in this hobby. Glad I did anyway.
Many simple accessories can be made... paradoxically machine can and have made better copies of themselves.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
pete

Post by pete »

:mrgreen: Yeah isn't that the truth Mauro. But I should have added that costs are a direct reflection of just how complex the projects end up being.

Pete
grimm

Post by grimm »

tornitore45 wrote: Many simple accessories can be made... paradoxically machine can and have made better copies of themselves.
So true, I have made many of the modifications to my machines with my machines. I made Rick Kreuger's mini lathe tapered saddle gib project for my 7x12 Grizzly lathe on my Seg mill.

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoaca ... pered-gibs

And now it works so much better, much more rigid and I don't have to do the ridiculous dance to adjust the gibs anymore. I have also made a column support plate and attachments for the mill again with the mill.