Converting 440v mill to 220v

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Converting 440v mill to 220v

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I've been looking at old big iron mills recently, specifically Van Norman 22L's. At least one of these has 440v power.

What would it take to convert a 440v electric motor and drive system to 220v? Is this at all feasible??? I have 220 single phase and 3phase available in my shop.

Might there be some electrical components in the mill that need 440v to operate properly- hence a deal breaker for converting to more manageable 220...???

Thanks for any input or advice.
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Re: Converting 440v mill to 220v

Post by Harold_V »

I may be wrong, but you should be able to simply rewire the motor (internally) to operate on 220 volts. You might find instructions inside the electrical box on the motor. Many are built accordingly.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote:I've been looking at old big iron mills recently, specifically Van Norman 22L's. At least one of these has 440v power.

What would it take to convert a 440v electric motor and drive system to 220v? Is this at all feasible??? I have 220 single phase and 3phase available in my shop.

Might there be some electrical components in the mill that need 440v to operate properly- hence a deal breaker for converting to more manageable 220...???

Thanks for any input or advice.
Glenn
Most 3Ø motors of that type are either dual or triple voltage: 208, 240, 480. The motor's name plate should indicate how to wire it. The rest of the mill probably is 120.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

the bugabo is it depends??? coolant motor, control transformer( often easy) motor overloads, it will now draw twice as much current. and if no control transformer, coil s in the starter relays may need to be changed

if the motor has been rewound it may only have 3 leads out, so some looking will be necessary
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Some OEM motors were 440V only. I took a pass on a grinder that was that way. Grinder was a good deal if not for that voltage issue, but I just didn't feel it remained a good deal if I needed to add a substantial buck/boost to the solution.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Les_S

Post by Les_S »

If your motor is 440V 3phase only, and you have 3 phase in your shop, I'm thinking a transformer to step up your voltage would be all that is needed. I don't know the nameplate data (current) for your motor so I can't say how practical this solution might or might not be.
Les
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yep, thanks all. I think the transformer idea is the simplest way to go. The VN 22l got away to another buyer, so I am still looking. However, it seems a lot of the big iron machines are all 440 or even higher voltage, so same issue with compatibility.

I am limited to 10hp on my three phase RPC (5hp on the machine side), but that will power a pretty good size mill- bigger than I need actually. So ultimately hoping to find something that is 220 from the get go, yet still gives me decent vertical clearance. Siren call is still strong from some of these old high voltage mills, when you click on their page.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Morning Glenn

Take a look at this thread

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/electric ... -230v.html
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)