Spindle reassembly process

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rakort

Spindle reassembly process

Post by rakort »

Hello, moving on to assemble my spindle. Wondering about the assembly process and how to NOT use the bearing balls to press races into their respective homes. Seems like I can't do that based on the spindle design. I have also been pondering what set screw 46 is really for? (see pix) It allows access to set screw for locking the nut that holds the angular contact bearings. BUT WHY!? I can't figure out a reason to have access to that nut / set screw as the spindle assembly gets knocked out of the quill before the AC bearing are removed from the spindle...wondering if these two puzzles are related?

thoughts?

thanks

Brian
Attachments
Head X-Section.jpg
spro

Re: Spindle reassembly process

Post by spro »

If there is a spacer between the outer races, it almost looks like the nut is used to draw in the spindle. With the hex set screw loose and a hex key inserted at hole of 46 into that screw, the spindle can be wound to a point approaching preload. I know it isn't real information and looks like it would have an inner and outer spacer. This also assumes one has a way to measure torque at the spindle. This could be a collet holding a fine shoulder bolt at measureable torque exceeding that of the preload. What this is about, is measuring and containing the preload during the tapping of the assembly. It looks then, as the upper bearing would be placed first and mostly home. Then the preload range is monitored and adjusted while pressure, etc are applied.
See what you get with late night thoughts, :)
rakort

Post by rakort »

Yes there are spacers in between the AC bearings. The preload is controlled by the thickness of these spacers. The inner spacers is slightly narrower than the outer. With that said the nut is ran up tight and you get what you get for preload unless you are gonna adjust the thickness of the spacers.
Last edited by rakort on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

What is 23? It looks like a lock nut to me, to cinch the bearings tight against the spacer. It seems 46 would drive into 23. If 23 is a nut, it would seem to be threaded onto the spindle, so then I do not know what 46 is for either.

When I pressed my bearings on, I used a tube to bear against the inner race. I used the old bearing against the other end of the tube to give me enough of a lip for my press table, or just use a long enough tube to come off the end of the spindle (and even hammer it on if needed...).
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
spro

Post by spro »

#23 is probably nut with socket head set screw. Port for #46 shss could be a way to readjust the preload by earlier description after everything is in place.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

OK, I get it. I think 46 is to allow access, maybe just for oiling the spindle bearings? My Logan has a set screw on the back gear shaft for oiling an internal shaft bearing.
rakort

Post by rakort »

ctwo wrote:What is 23? It looks like a lock nut to me, to cinch the bearings tight against the spacer. It seems 46 would drive into 23. If 23 is a nut, it would seem to be threaded onto the spindle, so then I do not know what 46 is for either.

When I pressed my bearings on, I used a tube to bear against the inner race. I used the old bearing against the other end of the tube to give me enough of a lip for my press table, or just use a long enough tube to come off the end of the spindle (and even hammer it on if needed...).

23 is the AC bearing nut that is locked with a shss and cinches the bearings. 46 is the puzzle.

I plan on doing just the same with getting the lower AC bearings onto the spindle.....I have a long tube all made up ready to go to press on the bearing inner races.

The puzzle is putting the spindle into the quill.

I thinking I have figured it out.

heat the lower end of quill then press the spindle into the quill. The heat will allow the outer races of the AC bearings into the quill without much force (or pressing force through the balls) and the pressing action will be against the pre-installed upper radial ball bearing which I am less concerned about.
rakort

Post by rakort »

spro wrote:#23 is probably nut with socket head set screw. Port for #46 shss could be a way to readjust the preload by earlier description after everything is in place.

Agreed this would be slightly possible except for there is no adjusting these lower AC bearings. They are pulled up tight and clearance / preload is set with the spacers in between them. If they were adjustable they would have a typical bearing lock nut and a lock washer with tags on it
rakort

Post by rakort »

ctwo wrote:OK, I get it. I think 46 is to allow access, maybe just for oiling the spindle bearings? My Logan has a set screw on the back gear shaft for oiling an internal shaft bearing.
yeah it would do that, but that doesn't make sense either. These bearings are all open and oil continuously flushes down through the top, all the way through all the spindle bearings and exits through the lower bearings. No need to oil these directly.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

rakort wrote:
I thinking I have figured it out.

heat the lower end of quill then press the spindle into the quill. The heat will allow the outer races of the AC bearings into the quill without much force (or pressing force through the balls) and the pressing action will be against the pre-installed upper radial ball bearing which I am less concerned about.
That's it. I lightly greased the inside of my quill before starting this. Extended quill and heated the quill using a heat gun, inside and out. The shop was cold so the spindle and bearing were cold, and I only had to palm the spindle in.

I'm looking forward to a 3-day weekend to get my head back together. I still need to pull apart the motor though. I forgot how to get them apart.
rakort

Post by rakort »

ctwo wrote:
rakort wrote:
I'm thinking I have figured it out.

That's it. I lightly greased the inside of my quill before starting this. Extended quill and heated the quill using a heat gun, inside and out. The shop was cold so the spindle and bearing were cold, and I only had to palm the spindle in.

I'm looking forward to a 3-day weekend to get my head back together. I still need to pull apart the motor though. I forgot how to get them apart.

Yeah, that is it. I just a quick test. In this case I have the quill out of the head (see my flikr photos). I heated the quill a bit and took an old AC bearing and it slipped right into the lower end of the quill. So no problem getting those in there which was one of my greater concerns. The next thing is that will offer resistance to this whole process is the upper (radial) bearings which will be in place in the quill for this process. I can press the assembly together with out worry now of the AC bearings, but may be able to do the palm thing if I heat the inner races of the upper radial bearings and chill the spindle a bit first. Failing that I will have the press set up!

Now pulling a motor apart.....hrmm, not much to it, just remove the 3 bolts / screws and bump it with a wood mallet.

:) enjoy your weekend