DRO on the Cheap... any suggestions?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Chipper5783

Re: DRO on the Cheap... any suggestions?

Post by Chipper5783 »

There are many options, go with what you are comfortable with. I suggest you don't be in too big a hurry. Why do you need a DRO? Of course they are nice, speeds up most tasks, makes a few tasks possible (at least vastly easier than going to Excel and building a spreadsheet of X-Ys for bolt circles, arcs etc). However, I used the scales and dials on my mill for several years. They actually work quite well. Some mills do not have scales, but you can buy a cheap flexible ruler and glue it onto your table (beats counting turns, though counting turns is not a big deal). Keep a felt pen handy and mark the table position.

I did eventually buy a DRO kit, but I paid a bit more, so that implementing the DRO did not become yet another project.

Save your money for that knee mill and put a DRO on it.
Let us know what you work out. Regards, David
David C. Lathes: Enterprise 1550, Smart & Brown 1024, Mills: Maho MH 600 x2, Cinci Toolmaster, Kasto hacksaw PSB 210, Grinders: Cinc#2 T&C, Ingar 618 SG all but the first came as projects, now they support an endless list of more projects. Good thing I have a day job!