MT2 Nightmare

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Weibel

MT2 Nightmare

Post by Weibel »

I have sort of an issue with finding MT2 collets for my Benchmaster mill- that aren't no name Chinese.

I have been able to find plenty of ER style chucks and collets, but I would like regular, plain Jane MT2 collets so they don't eat up as much space in my Z axis. I have heard that Myford made them, whether or not they would work on my mill I don't know. I've also heard about Hardinge, but at the same time that they were insanely expensive.

Any suggestions?
10KPete

Re: MT2 Nightmare

Post by 10KPete »

I needed another 5/16 for my Benchmaster and bought it from Enco IIRC. Not the cheapie. It's well made of good
steel (dings like a bell), dead on size and no runout that I can measure with my 10ths indicator. Yep, I took a
chance but it worked out fine. The only alternative was what you've already found. $$$$$$$$$

Pete
Just tryin'
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Emco (not Enco) should have them but they won't be cheap, Myford ones used a threaded nose collar on the lathe's chuck mounting for closure, not a draw bar, so Myford ones may not have a draw bar thread at the rear,
Regards,
Nick
Weibel

Post by Weibel »

How much is "not cheap" from the folks at Emco?
gzig5

Post by gzig5 »

Weibel wrote:How much is "not cheap" from the folks at Emco?
The terms "EMCO" and "cheap, inexpensive, or bargain" cannot exist in the same universe.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

LittleMachineShop.com has them cheap, but obviously not as good (nor as expensive as Hardinge).

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... &category=

Some import collets have metric drawbar threads. The ones from LMS are 3/8-16.

Steve
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

EMCO + Engineering Maier & Co. and they are in Austria. In their hey day they produced high quality products. I think they were purchased again by a new company. As far as I know they are still buiding larger lathes and CNC machines. They are no longer in the Maier family as far as I know.