vises ?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

hwboivin3

vises ?

Post by hwboivin3 »

Hello,

Just curious if anyone has a Shars vise and if so, how well do you like it.

I have four 6" Kurts and one 5" Kurt. I prefer the 5" and wish I had another one. And I'm also looking for two 4" vises. Why? The 6" ones are getting a little heavy and most of the pcs I make are small. I'd like to get two 4" vises and set both of them up in line with about 2-3 inches between them. This way I can either run a setup in each vise or can run longer parts using both. But the prices for the Kurt 4" and 5" ones are more than the 6" ones. So I was wondering how well the Shars ones were.

Thanks

Harry
John Evans

Re: vises ?

Post by John Evans »

If you are use to using a Kurt you will not like ANY of the Chinese vises.No experance with the Shars but with other eastern vises good one way boat anchors.
www.chaski.com
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

John Evans wrote:If you are use to using a Kurt you will not like ANY of the Chinese vises.No experance with the Shars but with other eastern vises good one way boat anchors.

That's what I was afraid of. I've only purchased a handful of Chinese stuff. Parallels, 1-2-3 blocks and a clamp set for the mill. The clamp set went to the scrap bin after a week. I still use the other stuff.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

hwboivin3 wrote:Hello,

Just curious if anyone has a Shars vise and if so, how well do you like it.

I have four 6" Kurts and one 5" Kurt. I prefer the 5" and wish I had another one. And I'm also looking for two 4" vises. Why? The 6" ones are getting a little heavy and most of the pcs I make are small. I'd like to get two 4" vises and set both of them up in line with about 2-3 inches between them. This way I can either run a setup in each vise or can run longer parts using both. But the prices for the Kurt 4" and 5" ones are more than the 6" ones. So I was wondering how well the Shars ones were.

Thanks

Harry

I have a Shars 4". When I tighten the jaws, the pressure is not equal across the 4" and one side is always a bit looser. I could probably put some paint on the back of the jaws, heavier on the loose end, to take up the slack.

It's close, but no cigar.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I don't have a Shar's, but I do have an Enco.
I finally spent a day cleaning, grinding, polishing, and a bit of milling, and it's acceptable for most work.
But it ain't no Kurt.

In all hindsight....I'd a bought the Kurt at the get go..... and skipped the knock-off.
Some things (most) are worth the money.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I bought import parallel clamps and the knurled screw heads were just pressed on. Any clamping force will press them back off. I knurled the shaft and pressed them back on with some JB weld.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

toddalin wrote:I have a Shars 4". When I tighten the jaws, the pressure is not equal across the 4" and one side is always a bit looser. I could probably put some paint on the back of the jaws, heavier on the loose end, to take up the slack.
If you have a file with parallel sides, you could wrap cloth around the top to act as a handle, close the vise without the jaws lightly on the handle and then pull. It will remove metal mostly from the tight side.

Not sure what kind of precision you will get with that method, but I can tell you it worked wonders on a bench vise.

Steve
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Harry, check Kurt's Scratch & Dent page. I know it is still but pricey, but....
My Chinese vise has gone to the scrap bin long ago and I only used it once!

http://www.kurtworkholding.com/manual-v ... -l-en.html

Jim B
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I've lived my life with just a few vices...

What? Oh, you're discussing Vises.

Never mind then.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

liveaboard wrote:I've lived my life with just a few vices...
What? Oh, you're discussing Vises.
Never mind then.
What's all this I hear about people wanting more vices! Vices are bad. Why would you want more vises?

The editorial was about vises, not vices.

Oh, that's different.
Attachments
Nevermind.jpg
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

SteveM wrote:
toddalin wrote:I have a Shars 4". When I tighten the jaws, the pressure is not equal across the 4" and one side is always a bit looser. I could probably put some paint on the back of the jaws, heavier on the loose end, to take up the slack.
If you have a file with parallel sides, you could wrap cloth around the top to act as a handle, close the vise without the jaws lightly on the handle and then pull. It will remove metal mostly from the tight side.

Not sure what kind of precision you will get with that method, but I can tell you it worked wonders on a bench vise.

Steve
Not a bad idea. :wink:
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

While we are on "cheap vises."

I was milling a thick sheet of brass (on edge) held in the Shars, and as the mill proceeded over the brass, it caused the excess sheet material to "curl back" on itself. This curling brass then found its way down to the vice jaws and actually cut into the jaw metal taking some away and roughening it up. (I smoothed it with a file, but the slight damage is there.)

I didn't strike the jaws with the tool (very close) because the tool was above the jaws past this area.

Can the Shars jaws be so soft that brass can cut into them???