Gorton Mills

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Gorton Mills

Post by spro »

There are many on ebay now and some real sleepers. Heavy mills with little mention here. They had a taper which was unusual then. Now we can find them. Gorton is a good name and heavy American iron. Any thoughts about Gorton milling machines ?
Harold_V

Re: Gorton Mills

Post by Harold_V »

Yes. Good thoughts. They built some wonderful mills. Far better than BP, although it's not fair to compare them, as they are not in the same league.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

There were lots of spindle taper options; I have seen MT30 and MT40, Kwick Switch, and of course Gorton's own. My 1-22 has the Kwick Switch taper but since it came with over 160 tool holders, I am amply equipped.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for the information. One would expect a seller to include the spindle taper in the description. During a scan of available Gortons, nobody mentioned the taper which could be an known advantage. It would be dandy if the horse had a # 30 or #40 or equipped with a full complement of tooling. When it isn't mentioned, I tend to think it is the Gorton taper. The unknown tends to turn a buyer off.
There should be an attempt to describe the taper or how another standard could be modified to fit. Something.!
TRX

Post by TRX »

My #3 mill uses a Brown & Sharpe #9 taper.
StuWil

Post by StuWil »

Gorton Mills
Found one (it actually found me) that was used for pattern milling. The owner was willing to give it to me. "Huge" is a word that comes to mind looking at the monster. I backed away from a free mill, that probably could do anything, simply because of its' size. Powered all axis. It sat in a corner like jabba the hutt, sorta felt sorry for it cause i think it got scrapped