Simple setup

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Simple setup

Post by Harold_V »

wlw-19958 wrote:Hi There,

Even though you have a humidity controlled environment, How long
has the furniture in question been in it?
In this case, "only" 15 years. All of our furniture was stored in the shop while the house was being built. We've run dehumidifiers for all that time.

Our house is somewhat unusual in that we have some walls carpeted. I'm a sound buff and know that dampening is always a good idea, especially when you have the capability to bust concrete with your sound system (and I do). To that end, I installed 5/8" plywood on some of the walls (in the stereo room), to which we attached carpet. It was interesting to watch gaps (albeit quite small) develop between the sheets once they were installed. We kept a dehumidifier in operation all that time, to ensure a stable environment. From that experience I've witnessed, first hand, how long it takes for wood to stabilize.
Just food for thought.
Anything offered is appreciated, as I am totally out of my element with the building project. That's one of the reasons why it has taken so many years. We also had virtually no outside help, aside from having the dryvit (synthetic stucco) installed. A crew is necessary, as doing it piece-meal leaves seams. I also sub-contracted concrete work, as I am not strong enough to deal with such things. Otherwise, all the work has been done by my wife and me. That includes putting up all the block (Rastra http://www.rastra.com/) setting trusses, nailing shingles, hanging and finishing drywall, and installing floor finishing, installing the entire electrical system, including three phase (in the shop, which we also built), and a low voltage control solid state lighting system. We also did all the plumbing, including installing some cast iron pipe. How many folks, today, have used that stuff? (It's dead silent, which is why it was chosen).

Disclaimer. I am in no way associated with Rastra. I provided a link so those with questions might understand what I was talking about.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

Harold_V wrote:...We also did all the plumbing, including installing some cast iron pipe. How many folks, today, have used that stuff? (It's dead silent, which is why it was chosen).
Harold
Can you obtain the materials new still? Or did it come from salvage?

As a young man (been a while) I worked for a home-builder, and I remember the plumber tamping in yoakum (?) and then leading the joints. But that was 40-some years ago.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

15 years you say. That should more than plenty
of time for the wood to stabilized.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harold_V wrote: I'm a sound buff and know that dampening is always a good idea, especially when you have the capability to bust concrete with your sound system (and I do).
Harold

I too am an audiophile going back as far as the 1950's. That was a time when audio, whether stereo, binaural or high fidelity was in development by hundreds of companies, both here and abroad. It was a time when the developing technology appealed to people like us. I no longer have the money to indulge in hi-fi equipment, but would be interested in hearing what equipment you have.

Back in the early 50's, I had a friend (well off) who built a stereo system that had 2 elex crossover networks (he designed) that drove 10 amplifiers per channel that drove the speakers. All components were the latest and greatest available at the time. I can only say the sound was breathtaking. New York City at that time was the center for audio. The annual high fidelity show brought together all the hundreds of audio exhibitors that filled 4 floors of the hotel New Yorker. Mega watt amplifier makers would battle for the most db's; turntables that played upside down and submerged in a tank of non-conductive liquid; magnetic drag cup tape decks and woofers that got down to 30 Hz. I can still remember my first "hi-fi" amplifier; a Bogen PH10 that cost me a weeks pay ($50).
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I have started using the "good china" and drink wine from the crystal goblets. Only have a few years left to enjoy things in style. The inherited Bombay drawer chest has drawers so worn out to be not functional but wife does not want to be fixed, which is fine for me. More time for MY projects in the shop. The children are going to sell everything on e-bay anyway.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

WesHowe wrote:
Harold_V wrote:...We also did all the plumbing, including installing some cast iron pipe. How many folks, today, have used that stuff? (It's dead silent, which is why it was chosen).
Harold
Can you obtain the materials new still? Or did it come from salvage?
Cast iron pipe is still very much available, although it is now hubless. Leaded joints are long gone, but a wide, gasketed stainless double clamp is used instead. The only real problem is that it is far more expensive than ABS, but the benefits in the way of noise elimination are a viable offset. I learned that lesson from a friend, who, long ago, purchased a new home, one plumbed with ABS for waste. It was a two story home (as is ours), with an upstairs bathroom. Sounded like a herd of rocks falling through the wall when the toilet was flushed. For that reason, I used a great deal of iron pipe, but not all of our waste system is iron. ABS couples to the iron pipe readily, so I used ABS where it didn't matter. I am well pleased with the results.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

From a woodworker I deal with-machinists make lousey woodworkers because We think .001-.002 is enough clearance.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

tornitore45 wrote:I have started using the "good china" and drink wine from the crystal goblets. Only have a few years left to enjoy things in style.
An excellent decision, to be sure. We're even going to start to daily use a set of sterling silver flatware , which we have owned for a long time. Why save it for "best", especially when life is short and there's no one to pass things on to. We may just as well enjoy the things we have. While each of us are common folks, we both enjoy nice things.
The inherited Bombay drawer chest has drawers so worn out to be not functional but wife does not want to be fixed, which is fine for me. More time for MY projects in the shop.
Personal choice, for sure. And, it's a lot of work if you pursue it well. I've done all that kind of work on my mill, which is dreadfully slow where wood working is concerned. However, it yields a level of control that is to be admired. If you're careful, things turn out very well, and are not trusted to luck, as they often are with wood working machines.

In our case, we didn't really have much of a choice in repairing the drawers in all of the pieces involved, for they closely resembled the description you provided of your Bombay drawer chest. Ours will get used, some daily, and we aren't concerned with collector value. We like the furniture, and wanted it to be functional, as well as looking good. Virtually everything we had needed attention, and we're well pleased that the pieces that have been finished look quite acceptable, with each item functional.
The children are going to sell everything on e-bay anyway.
Yep! Why save things for folks who may not appreciate them for what they are? You're the ones who worked hard for your possessions. No reason why you shouldn't be the ones to enjoy them.

Way to go, Mauro.

Harold
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: but would be interested in hearing what equipment you have.
A mixed bag of things. The vast majority of my electronic gear is McIntosch. I have an MC402 amplifier (400 watts/channel), a C46 preamp, MCD301 CD player, MR 78 FM tuner and an MPI-4 scope. I run a Thorens TD-125 turntable with an Ortofon arm and cartridge (floating coil). I also have a Nakamichi 1000II cassette deck and a Crown CX-824 reel to reel tape deck, which, today, are both looked upon as dinosaurs. For speakers, I have a JBL Paragon, as well as a pair of Olympus C-50's with the S8R speaker combo (tweeter and mid range are horns, with the woofer being a 15" speaker with a passive radiator in the Olympus enclosures. The Paragon is an exponential horn, so a passive isn't required.
Here's a couple pics, which may help.
Electronics2.jpg
Speakers1.jpg
Like you, my interest in sound gear was triggered in the 50's. I was on the stage crew in high school and operated a Stromberg Carlsen amplifier that powered the auditorium sound system. I was hooked! After graduating high school, I was introduced to high end stereo gear, and while it was beyond my means, it set a course for me for the future. I made my first purchase of McIntosh way back in the mid 60's, a tube type amp, a MC-240.

I fully expect that when the time comes that I have to give up some of the things I enjoy, the sound system will be last, long after my machine tools are gone. Stereo gear is truly my passion.

Harold