VFD recommendations

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chrismunn

Re: VFD recommendations

Post by chrismunn »

Ugh, i just ran across this thread and realized that I forgot to get some 5/16" tool bits when I made a tool order the other day. Oh well, looks like I'll have to make another order? ;)

Anyhow, I was doing some facing operations on the mill today that would have warranted the use of the fly cutter but I was too scared to pull it out of the box! lol, wouldn;t have mattered anyway because I don't have the right tool bit and would have remembered had i looked. I ended up using a 1" roughing end mill and it did the job.
Harold_V

Re: VFD recommendations

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! Assuming you get the tool geometry right, you're going to be amazed at the difference in surface finish. Fly cutters yield excellent finishes, especially when lightly lubricated.

While I'm not fond of using a fly cutter for moving volumes of steel, they serve perfectly well for roughing aluminum. Once you get used to using one, it will be difficult to get along without it.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.