VFD recommendations

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chrismunn

VFD recommendations

Post by chrismunn »

Just picked up a Kent 3vk mill and don't have 3 phase in the garage.

http://www.kentusa.com/mills/manual-kne ... knee-mill/

The mill is 220v 60hz 3 phase. I don't know anything about VFDs so I'm not sure exactly what I need? I don't think I want a phase converter tho? I was recommended by someone who uses Allen-Bradley so I was looking at thier website and read up on the Powerflex 523.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Drives ... #selection

I'll be honest, I don't really understand what I'm reading there?

And suggestions or input on this subject will be incredibly helpful. The guy I was talking to gave me a big list of brands but I don't know one from the other in terms of performance, so...?
Magicniner

Re: VFD recommendations

Post by Magicniner »

All the big brands tend to be good, I prefer Siemens but I also like Mitsubishi and ABB. Siemens Vector Drives are my particular favourites, they react to load slowing down the motor by supplying more oomph to maintain speed.
Regards,
Nick
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

How do I know which VFD will be right for my machine? Is it just comparing numbers? Im assuming i want the output of the VFD to match what the machine needs? Can the output of the VFD be higher than the requirements of the machine without damaging anything?
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I bought a Hyang (or similar Eastern Asia spelling) would not program from the beginning. Factory gave a refund.
Patio

Post by Patio »

There was a good discussion on this awhile back. Do a search on VFDs. I would post a link, but I am not home and only have my phone.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

A good VFD rated for your motor power will suffice, over power should still be fine but check manufacturer's specifications as some large VFDs will not run small motors well.

- Nick
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I am waiting for delivery of a new milling machine, that includes a built-in Japanese brand of VFD phase converter. My single-phase 220Vac power will work directly with this mill's 3-phase motor.
Of note: The motor is 3 HP, and the electronic VFD is rated at 5 HP output.
~RN
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

Was watching Stan Zinkosky's YouTube channel and saw that he runs a VFD on pretty much all his machines. Was able to get him on the phone and based on my situation we decided that a rotary phase converter is better suited to my machine. The only advantage to a having VFD for me would be over driving the spindle RPMs and having RPM control with a potentiometer. But, since the head is already a variable speed geared crank control there's no need for the pot speed control and it's a 4200 RPM spindle. Plus if I ever end up with another 3 phase machine [within spec] in the shop I can just tie right into the existing phase converter, as long as I'm not running both machines at the same time. I didn't realize how much rewiring was involved with the VFD so I'll probably get on the horn with American Rotary next week for a consult? Got the mill going in tomorrow morning. Excited!
medic0079

Post by medic0079 »

I use a hitachi on both mill and lathe they work great and are easy to set up. I think they were 200$ shipped for 3hp of fleabay
bill jones

Post by bill jones »

-I normally use a rotary phase converter that I have mounted down onto the left side of my mill---with a kick switch installed so I can turn it off and on real easy with my foot.

-I paid about $650 for this phase convertor in 1992 from a local electrical shop called Nelson Electric here in SLC utah----only thing it's needed is to have a little bearing grease about every 10 years.
-----------------------------------------
-I also occasionally use a Hitachi VFD---#NES1-022LB with the optional NES1-OP operating pad---particularly for slowing the speeds down below about 60rpm of the phase convertor.

-I machine valve seats on racing cylinder heads and they usually always like some speed around 30rpm.
---------------------------------------
-the main issue I don't like about the VFD is it can't be instantly stopped and reversed like when threading.

-the VFD instructions doesn't want it to be operated thru a reversing switch as the VFD box needs a slow ramp up to speed when starting and then a slow ramp down speed to stop.
--------------------------------------
-I always use the phase convertor---but I change back and forth between using the VFD.

-I built a yellow quick access hard wire box to where I can switch the three main wires from VFD to the phase convertor back and forth---takes about 2 minutes for this hard wire arrangement.

-this wiring system is sort of a cluster up on the top left hand side of my mill---but it is my way of having the convenience of either power choices.

-there is sort of a series of operational changes necessary to deal with when going between each system so I have made some lock outs so I can't screw up---like you can't use the hand brake lever with the VFD so I have a lock out under the lever---and several other lock out procedures to deal with.
----------------------------------------
-I had a slightly larger blue Hitachi unit #X200-022NFU that cost a little over $200 and lasted for maybe 4-1/2 years then burnt up internally in one little spot on the circuit board that I couldn't fix---so when I got this black unit I installed a small computer type fan to blow air thru it to cool it better.

-I had got to where I was running the blue unit most all the time except when I was tapping etc.
-------------------------------------------
-both of my VFD's came from Drives Warehouse in Texas I think---this black one with the optional key pad cost $245.
Attachments
mill ready for normal 3 phase power .jpg
3 phase converter with kick switch .jpg
storage of VFD wires when using mill normally.jpg
Last edited by bill jones on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Well Chris it looks like you gave Stan an idea for a YT video. He has posted one on RPC vs VFD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh7v71uehH4

Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

I enjoyed the video and three after. It starts where RPCs are the best and then VFDs are the best, depending. Altogether interesting. I was watching the one in which the man was diagnosing and repairing a blown VFD. I found that I was talking to the screen :) Yes yes and wait. Think he was using a Fluke 66 and definitely a seasoned tech. All good info, thx for link. ( I need to get one of those push/grab test leads, alligators and loop fit aren't right).