Unknown milling machine! Help me to recognize it!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Tawee

Unknown milling machine! Help me to recognize it!

Post by Tawee »

Hi!

I have this problem with my father's milling machine. I would like to learn more about it, but I can't because I do not know this brand or model. I would ask from my father, but he passed away one year ago and I can't google information from it. Milling machine is in my knowledge imported from somewhere Europe to here Finland in 1980's or 1990's. I think it runs max. 1200rpm. Father renovated it fully before he died, color is not original, but pretty close as I can remember.

Can anyone help me to recognize this milling machine from photos?

measurements are about:
Width: about 65cm
Height: about 138cm
Depth: about 120cm

Can anyone help me? :roll:
Attachments
From right side
From right side
From left side
From left side
Maybe this will help?
Maybe this will help?
BadDog

Re: Unknown milling machine! Help me to recognize it!

Post by BadDog »

I'm no expert, but I believe what you have is a Cincinnati Horizontal No 2 with missing over arm (for horizontal arbor support) and fitted with an optional direct drive vertical milling spindle.

I believe this is your machine in the typical horizontal configuration.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Tawee

Post by Tawee »

I can't believe this! You are super! I've tried to find that model so many hours by googling and you just say that! In my eyes you are expert :wink: Thank you a lot!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Not hardly. I'm just a closet fan of the old Cincis and other industrial horizontals. The tag you posted just supported my initial reaction, and I used that on Google to confirm the specifics, narrow down the model number, and provide that link. No expert here, but thank you anyway.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You can read more about Cincinnati mills here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cincinnati/

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Good link. His spindle is shown under accessories (half way down the page) as well as it's end support using the over arm. Looks like it's actually intended as a spiral milling attachment, which explains why it looks a bit unusual. Such a nice machine, might be worth looking for an over arm (and maybe some horizontal arbors) along with table drive and indexing setup to complete the package.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Tawee

Post by Tawee »

Yeah, thanks for advices! I was looking that model from lathes.co.uk earlier also :) Thank you guys!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Oh, and just for reference, as also indicated in the text on lathes.co.uk, 1200 rpm max is going to be problematic for anything other than larger diameter horizontal milling type cutters. Trying to run even HSS EMs at that speed may prove problematic due to low SFPM of smaller diameter cutters. Switching it back to horizontal mode would be an option, or using a stub arbor with similar millers (as shown in the pictures). Alternatively, maybe locating one of the more common "high speed" universal or vertical spindles. I really like the over arm dedicated drive option shown, but have never seen one in person. Those in the US upper midwest and back east would be far more likely to run across those as Phoenix (where I am) didn't have a major manufacturing presence back in the time frame when these were mainstream.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Looking at the configuration of the universal head, the spindle probably runs > X2 the speed of the horizontal spindle. Neat universal mill!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Good point. Tony's site does not specify ratios for that head, and it does look like it could be a ring and pinion type setup, which would easily yield substantially increased speeds. I wonder what the ratio might be?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Russ. That is quite a housing and the transition to the vertical section must use smaller miter gears. Knowing Cincinnati, it is probably more complex. That small shaft sticking forward may be a speed shift. That is; initially ring/pinion multiplying the speed X2 and then something else I don't know about. Lots of "Foreign" patents on that emblem.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, Cinci often didn't do things the easy way, but usually super reliable in the end result.

On further reflection, the obvious ring and pinion setup would yield reduced speed in that configuration assuming driven ring off horizontal drive as pinion. But as you correctly point out, I wouldn't be surprised to find out there is a multi-speed planetary in there, or maybe just a simple spur gear and the housing size is just for rigidity and lubricant capacity. I've far exceeded my knowledge on that setup, and I'm all guessed out on it too. :lol:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper