Help in identifying a millport mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

737mechanic

Help in identifying a millport mill

Post by 737mechanic »

Bought a used Millport mill and would like some help in identifying it. It is a varispeed model and has a 3hp 3 phase motor and the table is 9x42. See pictures below. I was told it was manufactured in 1987.
Attachments
20160721_161841.jpg
20160722_155159.jpg
20160722_155215.jpg
John Evans

Re: Help in identifying a millport mill

Post by John Evans »

Pretty much the typical Bridgeport clone made in Taiwan. What are you trying to find out?
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

I think these were labeled Enco for a while. Enco Manufacturing was manufacturing emblems and labels. I think when these heavier mills appeared, other companies put their emblems on them too. I recall puzzling over this cast "M" right in the trunk. I wondered what it stood for. So an image search of Enco vertical mills or another may find the same machine and a larger pool of information.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

I guess the reason I want to know the exact model is for when I need something for it I can search for an exact part in case the bridgeport part is different.

Two items that come to mind are the felt wipers for the ways and the varispeed belt. Not sure if the bridgeport parts are the same or not. I do know that millport has been around for a long time and still sells machines but they do not list any older manuals or info.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

That M cast on the face of the body just below the turret swivel stands for Mehanite. That is a group that had developed a type of Ductal Iron with close tolerance on the casting and alloys used. Do a Google. It is a licensed and controlled process and is international.
Cary
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

737mechanic wrote:Two items that come to mind are the felt wipers for the ways and the varispeed belt.
Get some white hard felt from McMaster and cut out your own way wipers using a straight edge and razor knife. That's what I did with my Bridgeport.

The VariSpeed belt may be a standard size. Measure the width and and Google around a bit. I replaced the belts on my Tree and Hurco mills.

http://dev.gatesrubbercompany.com/index ... on_id=3106
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!