Sharpening slotting bit

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Sharpening slotting bit

Post by spro »

The reason I bought a #3 is that it was two-ended and sturdier. There would be wear at the end face in use, which can be dressed, ground. The relief angle is continuous.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

spro wrote:Looking at the link;, MetalMan built a #10 and I was describing a #3. Looking at the side view of a #3 , you can see the slight taper of the slotting faces. I needed to actually see how they did that. There is .007" taper over .425" length of one side. Not much but required.
That at least gives me a rough idea of what should work. The #10 style could be useful in that it's easy to change the tool steel for other applications. I have a 5/8 boring bar that can be made into a tool for larger holes, uses a 1/4" sq. tool.
Ernie F.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Abom who is a YouTube machinist used one for a project He did. I don't know which episode it is in, You might have to sharpen up the GoogleFu to find it. Worked well.