Z-Knee power feed for new South Bend 1027 mill?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Z-Knee power feed for new South Bend 1027 mill?

Post by NP317 »

I have a new South Bend 1027 milling machine (9" x 48" table) and want to install a power feed on the Z-axis knee.
I have searched this site for info and the nearest I've found is the report on installing a Shars unit.
I'm a bit reluctant to get the Shars unit due to its lower power output, and the modifications required to install it, as described in the report.

Does anyone here have useful info to help aim me toward solution?
Are the "Servo" brand units the most likely fit? I know: Big bucks.

Grizzly has a high-output drive unit, but it appears to be for the x-axis, and does not include any shaft extension and such.
And I do not yet know if such a shaft extension is required on the SB 1027.
Their tech support person was not much help this morning, for either the mill requirements, or the drive device.
Unusual for Grizzly.

Looking for helpful insights from this community.
Thanks for your consideration,
~RN
Richard_W

Re: Z-Knee power feed for new South Bend 1027 mill?

Post by Richard_W »

You have a finer thread on the Z axis screw than you do on the table. So I would think the lower torque wouldn't matter that much. How does the torque compare with a "Servo" brand?

Richard W.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Richard_W wrote:You have a finer thread on the Z axis screw than you do on the table. So I would think the lower torque wouldn't matter that much. How does the torque compare with a "Servo" brand?

Richard W.
Good reminder. The knee is geared down 2:1 compared to the X-axis.
My concern is the total knee + table + part weight could reach 1000 lbs! (~ 450 kg)

I think the Servo brand power is >200 in-lbs, compared to the Shars @ ~ 150 in-lbs.
(from my questionable memory.) Some high-output knee drives are 3 times that power.

I need to install DROs on all axis first, so I have time to consider this drive option.
Thanks for your thoughts and question.
Still thinking...
~RN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I went ahead and got the Shars knee power feed. Inspection reveals it to be a rather robust unit! I like it.
And all of the required bits and pieces are included for installation on the knee drive of my mill.
Installation coming in the next several days, and I expect to make some needed "adjustments" to the generic parts to make it fit.

'Will report back on results, in case anyone else needs such info.
~RN
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Aw come on Russ! Don't you want build up that arm???

Let us know how it works out.

Pete
Just tryin'
NP317

Post by NP317 »

10KPete wrote:Aw come on Russ! Don't you want build up that arm???

Let us know how it works out.

Pete
Thanks for the chuckle!
My arm: I had to stop playing the violin/fiddle about 1 year ago due to "rotator cuff" damage, and am now about able to start playing again. The last thing I need to do is destroy my bowing arm again (or the other one!) cranking that damned-heavy knee of my new milling machine!
I got the mill to amplify my shop capabilities, not my personal DISabilities!
'Looking forward to the machining fun coming soon! And the music again.

Life is full of laughs if you let them happen...
~Russ
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

Knee installation of 3rd party power unit: http://rvbprecision.com/machine-tools-w ... ation.html

Poor man's alternative: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/br ... er-214134/

Some of these are based on Bridgeport mill dimensions so carefully check your SB mill for slight differences.

David Merrill
NP317

Post by NP317 »

David Merrill wrote:Knee installation of 3rd party power unit: http://rvbprecision.com/machine-tools-w ... ation.html

Poor man's alternative: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/br ... er-214134/

Some of these are based on Bridgeport mill dimensions so carefully check your SB mill for slight differences.

David Merrill
David:
Thank you for your references.
The first ref. is the installation description I used.
In short:
I acquired the same Shars unit shown, and successfully installed it two days ago.
I also had to modify one piece by turning down the bearing retainer lip, same as described. All other parts installed per the included instructions, with none of the difficulties described in the reference you included.

I will post a separate thread with photos, to share here, when I can get the photos downloaded, and sized properly.
I am pleased with the installed knee power drive!
Another job successfully completed...
~RN