Temporary parallel keeper

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Temporary parallel keeper

Post by earlgo »

The parallels I use are 4" long and the vise jaws are 6". ( I bought the parallels for the Yuasa 3 axis vise.) Anyway, it was necessary to mount the mill vise vertical to reach the cut on the horizontal mill. Since the upper parallel is difficult to hold in position while holding everything else, it dawned on me to use a piece of plastic tube to hold the upper in place. Worked like it was meant to be.
parallel keeper.JPG
Maybe this will spark a good idea.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Re: Temporary parallel keeper

Post by Mr Ron »

It's a simple idea that most wouldn't think to come up with. People usually look for more complicated answers when a simple solution is right under their nose. Thanks for the tip.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That's a nice solution for the problem.
I keep a small box of springs handy for the same purpose. I use air on my machines, so if I'm using parallels it's important that they stay on location. By placing a rigid spring between the parallels, they are always loaded against the jaws, and are not disrupted by the air jet, used to clean the mounting area when parts are exchanged.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I use pieces of broken and worn out bandsaw blade - I have several sets of various size and thickness bent up for the purpose, some like a W, some like an M, others a U or a C, and even some like a V or <> or ~...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
RSG

Post by RSG »

Great idea! Never thought of something to keep them under load....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

You can also use wavy parallels as springs with conventional parallels as spacers to retain parallels firmly against your vice jaws,

- Nick
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I use pieces of metal strapping, the stuff for pallets & boxes etc.
Easy to cut and bend a bit to fit the gap between the parallels.
Once made, they get thrown into the top drawer of a tool chest for the next time.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I use pieces of metal strapping, the stuff for pallets & boxes etc.
Easy to cut and bend a bit to fit the gap between the parallels.
Once made, they get thrown into the top drawer of a tool chest for the next time.

Bill
This is the most common solution to the problem. I always save some banding material for this. I find that some of the wider banding material is thicker and has a stiffer spring force. So I collect different widths and thickness of banding material.

Richard W.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Richard_W wrote: So I collect different widths and thickness of banding material.
That's one of the resources I turn to for shims for my square indexing tool block for my lathe. I keep a small box full of various thickness and types of shims on the headstock, so I don't have to search each time I insert a new cutting tool.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sometimes when a spring between the parallels isn't practical, like when your vise is opened up a good bit, I will use rubber bands to hold them against the vise jaws. Stretch them around the fixed and movable jaws. They stay out of the way, are cheap, if you hit one with a cutter it just breaks, it doesn't matter how wide your vise is opened up or if your parallels are shorter or longer than the vise jaws.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
TRX

Post by TRX »

I have some pieces of old automotive heater hose I use for the same purpose.
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

go on line to places like Gun Parts and order a couple of box magazine springs. I use the springs out of 303 British SMLE mags. You can cut one in half for short spaces.