Carbide end mills

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Carbide end mills

Post by Mr Ron »

Most of my milling is with aluminum. Since I am an amateur with modest means, I use HSS, uncoated end mills. I've thought about using solid carbide end mills, but I'm afraid that a small chip from the end mill will render it useless. I can buy 3/4" HSS end mills for $34 to $54, but the same size in carbide will cost anywhere from $95 to $156. These are all good quality end mills, like Niagra, Hertel, Accupro and Cleveland. My question is: As I work with aluminum, would using carbide be an advantage over HSS? and How much of a risk would I take using carbide in regard to chipping, accidental or otherwise? I had some small number size carbide drills and I broke them all right away. Fortunately, they were cheap, but I fear the brittleness of carbide in an expensive end mill.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Evans

Re: Carbide end mills

Post by John Evans »

In a word ,No. Your best choice is a mill designed for shiny wood [aluminum] in HSS and use only for aluminum. Any end mill used on steel will no longer work well in aluminum. Carbide is tender and easily damaged BTDT!!
www.chaski.com
Carm

Post by Carm »

Depends what mill you're running.
Manual, stay with HSS. Good to have some carbide around for those oddball jobs in repair, hard material or OH NO! situations.
Backlash free ball screws and rigidity, high spindle speeds CNC, absolutely carbide.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you are paying $54 for a milling cutter, consider picking some up off ebay. You can find new ones, made in USA, for $20.

Even if you buy used and have to send them to get resharpened, resharpening isn't that expensive.

For aluminum, use 2-flute end mills.

Steve
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Flea markets and yard sales are your friend. Don't usually pay over $1-2 a peice.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Great advice. I will stick with HSS. Thanks all.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi