Kurt 6" vise

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Kurt 6" vise

Post by Mr Ron »

My son knows someone who has a 6" Kurt vise for sale. When he told me he wants $100 for it, I told him to buy it quick. he said the handle was missing, but that's not an issue. Kurt vises can be rebuilt so $100 is a steel.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Re: Kurt 6" vise

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! That's a real good deal.
Several years ago, during the downturn in our economy (here in the US), Enco sold, for a brief time, the D688 vice at an unbelievable price. I paid $327 for one, delivered.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Is a 6" vise too big for a 6x26 knee mill? MY present vise is 4".
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

A large vise can be awkward to work around, although quite handy if you tend towards larger work.

When I operated my machines for gain, I specialized in small work. As a result, I purchased a 4" Kurt for my mill, a decision I have never regretted. I purchased the D688 only when I acquired my Haas CNC tool room mill. I have mounted that vise on my Bridgeport when in need of holding a larger work piece, but I prefer, by far, using the 4" vise otherwise.

You may be able to mount a larger vise, but you may find it limits travel on the saddle. All depends on how it can be mounted, and if it interferes with the column, or not. It will look strange. I know mine does.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Mr Ron wrote:Is a 6" vise too big for a 6x26 knee mill? MY present vise is 4".
I had a 6x26 mill that I recently sold to upgrade to a bridgeport clone. When I had the 6x26 I bought a 5" kurt and that vise was actually to big for the mill. The main problem was the 6" Y travel wasn't near enough to be able to clamp a large part in the 5" vise and be able to make a full pass in the Y axis.

After many frustrations I bought a 4" vise and that was a perfect fit. Although it was limited I always made it work and in the rare occasions I did need the bigger vise I would swap them as needed but I would say 98 percent of the time the 4" stayed on the mill.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well unless the 4" is a Kurt I'd be making the 6"Kurt work. They are so much better than 99% of what is sold for a mill vise that to me they are the only thing I'll buy. Own 3 !!
www.chaski.com
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

When and if I get it, I will make the determination as to whether it will work on my machine or not. If not, I will try to sell it and get the 4" Kurt.
pete

Post by pete »

I'd certainly buy it for that price. But I just looked up the dimensions on Kurts site. If that's the standard D688 there a touch over 17" long and roughly 70 lbs. With a 6" wide table you'd have 11" hanging out from the table if you don't want to lose any travel on the Y axis. Then I figured just mount it so the length runs in the X axis direction. No joy there either, there 8.75" wide and you'd have to figure out how to get the ends clamped down. If you could find someone who has a 4" Kurt and wanted a 6" that would sure be a cheap way to get one of the 4" ones.

Interesting detail on Kurts site I hadn't noticed before. They list the torque applied to the closing screw for the 688 in 10 lb increments from 10-80 ft. lbs against the clamping force on the part. 512 lbs at 10 ft lbs to 7342 at 80 ft lbs.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

For $100, grab it immediately, if not sooner.

If it doesn't fit your mill, you will be stuck with the best drill press vise you ever had.

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm still waiting to hear. The owner is in the Air Force and is out on an assignment I keep checking every day, as I don't want this to get away.
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

The Kurt vise on my mill/drill is worth more than the mill/drill itself. IMO, the quality of the vise has as much to do with the quality of the work you can do, as the machine does.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote:the quality of the vise has as much to do with the quality of the work you can do, as the machine does.
That was certainly true in my case, and is the reason why I purchased my 4" Kurt. The new BP vise I was using simply couldn't hold the work consistently, nor square.

Harold