Bolt Circle Problem with my Acu-rite 200s DRO

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

737mechanic

Bolt Circle Problem with my Acu-rite 200s DRO

Post by 737mechanic »

So here is a video of the problem I am having with my Acu-rite DRO using the bolt circle feature.

If anyone has any input for me on what the problem could be I would appreciate some help.

This DRO had the original software installed so I installed the latest they have on their website and still have the same problem.

Quick description is after entering the required values it gives me the wrong output values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVhrJyfJyJg

toddalin

Re: Bolt Circle Problem with my Acu-rite 200s DRO

Post by toddalin »

Is it possible that you are in "lathe" mode or something to this effect?

For example, in lathe mode, you take 3" off the diameter by moving the tool 1-1/2".
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

toddalin wrote:Is it possible that you are in "lathe" mode or something to this effect?

For example, in lathe mode, you take 3" off the diameter by moving the tool 1-1/2".
It is in Mill mode. When it is in lathe mode the bolt circle option along with arc milling and linear pattern are not there.

When I first noticed this problem I thought I needed to reset the diameter axis to off like I showed in the video but that just causes a new problem.

I am almost convinced the problem is software related but it is hard for me to believe as long as this DRO has been on the market no one has noticed this or had this problem.

There are 5 software updates and this display had the first revision so I thought for sure installing the latest would cure this but the problem is still there.

Sad when a supposedly high end DRO doesn't do a simple bolt circle correctly when a free app on my phone will. Guess I should have bought a Chinese DROPRO unit instead.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Mine works perfectly and I may see a couple of things you need to do.

1. When you change the diameter mode, turn the DRO power off and then restart!

2. Re-enter your values after you made the diameter mode change and rebooted.

Just for reference, 0 degrees is to the right, not the top but that is not an issue here as you stated.

If this is a new install, make sure you have the scales set right. IE: 5 vs 10 micron scales. You'll get double length readings if that is set wrong! Check it on you circle like you did in the video. Center the point then move to the left 3" and see what it reads. Do the same for the Y axis.

I can't think of any reason you would ever use diameter mode on a mill and I'm not sure why you can even turn it on in mill mode.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Dave you are the man.

The problem was the encoder setting was wrong. I just bought this mill and it had a DRO already installed but I wanted to use my 200s display and I couldn't find the specs for the scales so I used 5um as the setting and when I checked it with a dial indicator it lined up perfectly with diameter axis turned on so I thought that was the way it needed to be set. After changing the encoder scale setting and turning diameter axis off everything works like it should.

I have been in contact with acu-rite and they didn't know what to do.

Thanks for the info