ROCKWELL HORIZONTAL Mill CALLING all OWNERS

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wally318

ROCKWELL HORIZONTAL Mill CALLING all OWNERS

Post by wally318 »

Any owners here.
I was looking for some feedback of how hard they can cut
say on something like slab milling in light of the smaller
sized belts that they have? I was looking for some videos
but could find none on google/youtube etc.
spro

Re: ROCKWELL HORIZONTAL Mill CALLING all OWNERS

Post by spro »

Hello Wally. You should be aware there is a group or two, "Rockwell Milling Machines" at yahoo groups. Within dedicated groups as this, you really get the info. From what I know about Rockwell (real Rockwell/Delta Rockwell ) they made very good machines.
My info is what you can get anywhere but even though it can swing an 8" mill wheel, has NMTB#30 spindle taper, I cannot say about slab cutting.
wally318

Post by wally318 »

I got Zero feedback regarding this question @ the Yahoo's.
So I thought I'd try here.
spro

Post by spro »

I'm sure it was done. I don't know the video. If it isn't actually cutting, it is flexing/stressing the machine. It is akin to a printer, in a way. When a printer pulls up two or three sheets, it screws things up with the original alignment. We are familiar with that.
Slab milling or any milling can work as a wedge to the machine. If it hasn't actually cut the surface completely, the next .003 wedges tighter. There was a reason that happened before something broke.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

wally318 wrote:I got Zero feedback regarding this question @ the Yahoo's.
So I thought I'd try here.
Not unreasonable to check here, but how long did you wait? On forums like this you have huge numbers of people with varied interest, and likely a few of the regulars around within hours to potentially offer suggestions. But on the Groups you have VERY narrow focused groups, sometimes only a few dozens or maybe a hundred or so. In that case you have to wait until one who has time and inclination to answer to happen to check for the Group email. And if they see it, they may not be inclined or have time at the moment, and may decide to offer help later. It's just a different world. So don't loose hope of answers there. For a very specific question like this, unless you get lucky here, you are probably more likely to find targeted help there.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

I thought about this more and it is simple. The question was about the thinner belts to actually drive a slab mill. The Rockwell is actually quite heavy in places which matter and it has Geared Head. The torque through the drive belt/s is much lower than another milling machine with a Gear Motor which must transfer that torque through a heavier Belt.
spro

Post by spro »

All in all, Walker Turner, Delta Rockwell or Rockwell machines are darn good.