Two helpful items

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Two helpful items

Post by earlgo »

Necessity is a mother.
The first is a modification to a mill vise so that tools from a horizontal spindle can reach small parts.
Clearance
Clearance
The second is the ARO setup. That is Analog Read Out.
ARO
ARO

The vertical slide is a T-track from the woodworker's store.

Just amusing info.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Two helpful items

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Earlgo, can you do a closeup of the vertical mount? Looks interesting!

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

If you used a slab mill on an arbor you wouldn't need to modify the vise. Or it would have been better to mount the vise on an angle plate, then you could have used a face mill or fly cutter.

Good job with the indicators for position.

Richard W.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

These work OK, too, but sometimes it is much easier to use an end mill.
End mill with vise on angle plate
End mill with vise on angle plate
Slab mill
Slab mill
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Any setup that hides the cutter from view (angle plate) would not be good.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Mr. Ron: Agreed. It is much harder if you can't see what you are doing.

Glen: Here are a couple of pics of the setup. One can adjust the DTI to a near location and then read the table position from there if you don't exceed the DTI travel. I made a long pin to screw into the lower plate so that when the table is close to the spindle you can still see the DTI.
Rail
Rail
closeup
closeup
The rail is an aluminum 3/4 x 3/8 mini T-Trak from either WoodCraft or Kreg. They make other larger sizes, too. The indicator holder is a chunk of 3/4" square tube from Ace or Lowe's. The nuts that slide in the T-track were cut from flat stock.

--earlgo
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

earlgo wrote:The rail is an aluminum 3/4 x 3/8 mini T-Trak from either WoodCraft or Kreg. They make other larger sizes, too. The indicator holder is a chunk of 3/4" square tube from Ace or Lowe's. The nuts that slide in the T-track were cut from flat stock.

--earlgo
Wow! Very nice setup. :wink:
I use long travel indicators routinely. That's a great way to add them to a mill. :-)

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I would have turned the angle plate around and mounted the vice to it. That way the vise over hangs the table and chips fall down to the floor and not scatter across the table. Also use can use shorter tools.

I take it your mill doesn't have side controls from your comment?

Richard W.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Richard_W. This is an old mill built for production of small parts and there is very little, like 7" of in and out travel. Mounting the angle plate as you suggest certainly demands short tools. The angle plate is not good for big cuts because it is only .8 thick and tends to vibrate. Note that there is only 1 T-slot. I am slowly coming to the right configuration for this particular mill.
Wish I had room and $$ for a vertical, but that is for when I am reincarnated a rich young man. (Don't wait up. :lol: )
--earlgo
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

earlgo wrote:Richard_W. This is an old mill built for production of small parts and there is very little, like 7" of in and out travel. Mounting the angle plate as you suggest certainly demands short tools. The angle plate is not good for big cuts because it is only .8 thick and tends to vibrate. Note that there is only 1 T-slot. I am slowly coming to the right configuration for this particular mill.
Wish I had room and $$ for a vertical, but that is for when I am reincarnated a rich young man. (Don't wait up. :lol: )
--earlgo
I see, I thought this was a bigger mill than it is.

Richard W.