Best Length for Noga Mini-Cool?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Best Length for Noga Mini-Cool?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I want to give the Noga Mini-Cool a try. My mill is a BP knockoff. Can anyone here tell me what spray unit length is best? The spray unit is the bit that actually shoots the mist. I want something that will reach the cutting tool, but I don't want so much length it gets in the way.

I'm thinking the siphon and air tubes should be 2 meters each, because the mill table is sometimes about four feet off the floor.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Re: Best Length for Noga Mini-Cool?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Mine is a Kool Mist.
First one I bought, was a 12". Worked fine for most stuff, and my bench-top mill.
When I got my Jet BP clone, it was a little short sometimes. Problem was bending it around some odd shaped parts. Bend to much, and the hose pops apart. Annoying.
I added a mount on the quill for the mag base, and bought a better magnetic base with a lever (like the Noga already has), which helped a bunch. The Kool Mist magnet is kinda weak.
I bought another one, with the 18" hose. Much better.
I use the 12" one for the saw, and the lathe now.

Go with the longer one. Easier to maneuver.
My suction hose is 4' long. I put the premixed coolant jug on a milkbox most of the time.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for the reply. It looks like they don't actually sell the model with the long nozzle, even though it's in their literature. I think you have to buy the short one plus a new long nozzle.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well....a 12" hose will probably do what you need.
I assume the Noga is the same as my Kool Mist, and has a small clear plastic coolant line to the nozzle inside the segmented line.
So....if you want to add to the length, you have two hoses to mess with. hardly insurmountable.
The bracket I added is sure made life easier.

Kool Mist with 12" hose:
100_1835.jpg
100_1839.jpg
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.