power feed

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bluesky

power feed

Post by Bluesky »

I'm starting to look at new mills be a Bridgeport clone. All seem to have the X power feed mounted on the right side. My question is can they be put on the left side? or do you need some kind of left mounted one?
J.Ramsey

Re: power feed

Post by J.Ramsey »

I would think you could flip the lead screw 180 degrees and swap the end flanges but then you would have to deal with the controls being on the back side.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Even if they are mounted on the right can you not still crank the handle on that side still?
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Every drive I've seen has is mounted on the right side with the controls on the operator side. And (from possibly failed memory) it doesn't look like it's symmetrical, so I don't think you could just stick it on the other side without the controls being on the back side next to the column.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Since the industrial revolution, machinery designers have apparently been right handed, that being common for the majority of the population.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jmanatee

Post by jmanatee »

BadDog wrote:Every drive I've seen has is mounted on the right side with the controls on the operator side. And (from possibly failed memory) it doesn't look like it's symmetrical, so I don't think you could just stick it on the other side without the controls being on the back side next to the column.
This
Bluesky

Post by Bluesky »

Thanks for the replies. I am left handed but that is not the real problem, the smallest table I can find with all the other features I need is 49 inches which is to long, I can make it work though by mounting the vice towards the left and letting the right end stick out, that way it will only interfere with some shelving and I can work around that. Doing it that way with the power feed on the right would not be handy at all. I was hoping that someone would tell me that they could be mounted on either side of the mounting bracket so that the drive could be on the left with the controls still facing forward but I guess not.
Will's 2882

Post by Will's 2882 »

Yes you can mount it on the left. I have done that.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

The left side is the thrust bearing for the screw. Most of the feed units don't have any support for the thrust bearing as I recall. Unless they make them differently now.
little giant

Post by little giant »

When I started out in the machining trade, I thought I had a stupid question and asked my boss if they make a left handed Bridgeport. He replied yes they did, the knee handle and quill handle were on the opposite sides. I don't know if he was yanking my chain or not because I never saw one, has anyone seen one or have a picture of one?
spro

Post by spro »

In older photography, a mirror image but it didn't really happen.
Fwiw I made a power feed to the left of my m/d table for a reason. One reason because it sticks out and want to use the right side handwheel in most cases. When milling, I can engage or reverse the power feed motor at the unit, tune up the travel speed by pot near the manual downfeed and still use the right hand wheel for manual feed. It seemed the right thing to do at the time.
Bluesky

Post by Bluesky »

Thanks everyone for your input
Will's 2882 could you tell me how you did it? I would very much appreciate it.