Kool Mist and cooling systems

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dorin

Kool Mist and cooling systems

Post by dorin »

My little milling machines are getting dangerously close to a useful state!
Not wanting to finish too quickly I would like to learn a bit about no cooling, mist cooling, flood cooling.
The guys in the shop are adamant about using anything that smells...I guess that can get you kicked out! :D

Flood cooling seems a bit more work than mist cooling.
How helpful are substances like Kool Mist?
I am mainly going to be cutting aluminum...but think if it makes a nice cutter and makes tools last longer,
it is probably worth a try.
Thoughts and recommendations? Is there anything better and cheaper than Kool Mist?
-Mike
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Re: Kool Mist and cooling systems

Post by earlgo »

One shop I worked in used WD-40 exclusively for aluminum. It works and smells OK, although some do not like the smell.
Kool Mist appears to be @$70/gal whereas WD-40 is @ $30/gal. You'd have to get the MSDS sheets for each if you use them in a commercial shop.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The mist coolants may be more expensive per gallon, but they are heavily diluted with water, so the final cost is quite a bit lower.

I used a mist system for a short period, the one main advantage over flood being no waste collection needed. I am now using flood coolant for heavy cutting on the mill, and once it is set up, I like it better. Flood still requires a bit of ventilation.

Not sure I would use WD40 in a mist system - flammable fumes might be a concern.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

WD-40 does work well BUT the wax in it makes for sticky chips that stick everywhere ! deodorized kerosene would do better . I'm using mineral spirits on aluminum for the most part mainly because I have a quantity of it ,does smell though. MS is not as oily as kero but works fairly well as to smell the dogs don't seem to care . :lol:
www.chaski.com
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I use a Kool Mist sprayer for steels, and for heavy cuts, and hard or hardened I use flood.
I've never used Kool Mist on aluminum, so I don't know how the finish would be.
I buy the WD40 by the gallon, and generally use a squirt bottle, and also an air nozzle to clear the chips when machining aluminum. I also made a foot pedal valve, so I can operate the air intermittently, and free up my hands. I always use a flow control so I don't blow chips in places they don't belong.

I've used Kerosene & Diesel & various oils on aluminum, but my leader doesn't like me tracking stinky stuff in the house. You may be familiar with that.....
(It's OK though, if I'm fixing her Duramax)

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

Kool Mist systems are pretty reasonable when it comes down to it. The fluid costs about a dollar an hour to use, or much less depending on what you pay for it.

Pros: Great on aluminum, chip clearing, evaporative cooling, little to no smell, no burning smoke (but there is mist), does not seem to encourage rust.

Cons: Loud (compressed air), does create a cloud if used for any length of time, Mixed coolant does not have an infinite shelf life.
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
Happycamper

Post by Happycamper »

I just bought a gallon of Koolmist 77 and it was less than $30 at MSC. This is concentrate, 4 oz makes a gallon of coolant. The secret to keeping the fog down is to use a low pressure container to pressurize the coolant (about 20 psi) with a flow valve and low air pressure (30 psi). Remember this is a mist system. It is the evaporation of the small particles that cools. Keeping the pressure down eliminates the fogging. It
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I use a pressure regulator on mine, and adjust the valve on it to the minimum I need.
I have fooged myself a few times, but generally because I was trying to cool more than it should, and should have switched to flood. Things you learn.

Also, I had a problem with pre-mix in gallon jugs that got old, and would cloud up. When I used it, it would always plug up the suction screen on the sprayer.
I started using bottled water, and then used water from our new reverse osmosis water filter, and that problem went away. Stuff can sit for months under the lathe, and is good for months.
Water here is hard. Real hard.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

You don't run a heavy mist using the cool mist system/type. Often you have to turn up the air to get the flow going, but then turn down the air until you can't see the mist easily. You will how ever see it on the part or on your finger if you put your finger in the spray. I am right now cutting 3/8" key ways in 17-4 Stainless and have no trouble with HSS end mill life. You see guys using a cool mist type system and they have a large cloud around the machine, they have the mist set to high. It is a very economical system if you use it properly and it works well.

Richard W.