Shop Fox m1001 mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Shop Fox m1001 mill

Post by pete »

Since I don't know much about those exact mills then the following may not be of much use. It's my understanding there's now at least 3 sets of frame standards for motors. Those with imperial dimensions, the same for metric. And only going by my reading and what an industrial electrical dealer told be about my mills motor, an Asian set of frame standards that don't fit into either of the other two. To remotor my mill I'd have to remake the top motor mounting plate to fit an American or other manufacturers frame size if I didn't use another Asian built motor. My mill was the first 3 ph VFD machine I've run. It seriously got me hooked on that type of drive. I'd rather everything in my shop was 3 ph so I'd sure agree about changing out the single ph motor. There's really no comparison between a single ph and just how smooth the 3 ph do. But it sounds like you already know that.
dbstoo

Post by dbstoo »

stephenc wrote:
And can anyone who has a 6x26 mill tell me what the frame size is on their motor .
One of the first things I'd like to do is pitch the single phase motor .
Unfortunately the only one who can answer this properly is someone who has the exact same model. Mine looks the same but since it is 40 years old there is a very good chance that it has a different motor. For example my motor's face plate says it is "design CSC3112".

I solved the problem by making an adapter plate that mated my modern 3 phase motor to the existing screw holes.

Dan
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Some days you just want to choke people .

Monday got all jacked around and I wasn't able to pick up the mill , wasn't a problem for either of us to do it on Tuesday .
So this afternoon I get everything gathered up to get the mill . I had a very simple plan to load the mill ..... that I thought I had explained properly .

My plan was to use his engine hoist to set the mill on a mobile machine base and simply roll the mill into my brothers small enclosed trailer ... simple and easy as pie .
Or so I thought .

I got to his house at about 5pm right on time , shop door was open and ready for me .
I backed the trailer up to the door and went inside .
The first thing I see is the mill laying on its side ....

At this point I already know I am going home empty handed , but I had to ask what happened .
Instead of letting me move the mill like I wanted he decided to "help" by picking it up with his little electric lift truck and moving it out to the door .
When he spun the lift around it slid off the forks and fell on its side .

I helped him get it back up right again and the mill visibly look ok except for a broken handle on the x axis .
I suspect there's a good chance the lead screw is going to be bent at least a little on the end as well , along with the possibility of who knows what else may suffer from the impact .

I am about 99.9% sure I no longer want the mill but I did promise to go back Thursday afternoon to check things out after he gets everything apart and the table off .

All said ... a very disappointing day made even worse by two weeks of anticipation.
I think I'll just forget about getting a mill for now .
pete

Post by pete »

That would upset me as well. :-(
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

If not terminally damaged 50% discount off original price!
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Dang !!! Well like John said, it's going to be cheaper. There are two basic ways these hit the floor, fast and slow. Slow is better, like it was crushing nearby equipment, toolboxes, trashcan, bags of aluminum etc. Still the table handle is damaged but it may not crack the screw support mount. The one that a friend experienced was a gearhead, dovetailed column vertical with a universal table. The impact broke the "spud" off the table. Repairable yet a pita for a new machine. :(
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Here's my issue , and it could be a non issue for those who know more then me .

Repairing easy to see damage isn't a big deal , parts are available and I could make a reasonable cost estimate.
By my issue is with the damage that isn't easy to see , such as the table warping .
And those potential cracks that are to small to be easy to see now and show up later when placed under stress .
And there's also the bad taste left in my mouth from seeing it laying onnthe floor wrong side up .

On another note .... there's a cincy tool master on craigslist right now for $1500 that I'd be drooling over quite hard if I had the money .
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Now that it has been dumped, before making the decision to complete the transaction, take a serious look at price of repair parts. Don't assume anything. Items that you'd swear should cost $50 are commonly sold for ten times that amount.

Any damage to the machine that can't be repaired by fixing the existing part may render the purchase unreasonable, even at half the original asking price. The current owner made the mistake, so it should be him who pays the price, not you.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

This is difficult to say because I don't know if it had a floor base or table was only 2" feet from the floor. Impact is the final blow, where wheels break, brackets break and even the "dogbone" X Y nut fractures. Many would say "run".
I know that everytime the new handwheel wobbles, I would be thinking about the crash. Everytime things bind and just because a bracket didn't break, the bolt threads were pulled out of alignment. Sounds like something I would buy :) to save some $$ but I'm over that :shock:
Due to the fact you already have 3~ and room for two smaller mills, I would look real close at that Cincinnati. It only weighs 3-4 times as much BUT what if despite the weight, it is worn out ? I mean if you want accuracy in a small travel envelope, why crank or power a huge table to give less accuracy? How is it wore out ? Maybe it the best you will ever want! Cain't say from here but it looks that you are being led in that direction.
So it does come back to how much actual damage there was in the Shop Fox or does it ?
Quality machines live long and hold their value if you can handle the moves. One move is in, another is out. That Cincy may be a peach for a few dollars more. Then someday when you are old, everybody still knows about the Cincinnati ToolMaster and wants it.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I hate to give up easily, but as far as I'm concerned the machine is scrap metal .
The table has two cracks in it , both where the bronze nut bolts to the table .

I did make an offer on the mill head by itself and the power feed . I think I could adapt the mill head to work on my horizontal mill for limited use .
The power feed ... just because a person never knows what the future will bring.
But I doubt he takes me up on my offer , he is under the illusion that brazing up machine tools isn't a big deal .

So Sunday afternoon I am making a short drive over to Washington pa and checking out the Cincinnati. It is a bit out of my budget but if it's in decent shape I can always sell a rifle or something to make up the difference.

There also an old m head Bridgeport on craigslist at a fairly cheap price ... I'm not against an m head but with the $750 asking price I feel kind of safe in assuming it's going to be pretty well wore out .
But I'll be in the area so if I can work it out I'll give it a look as well .
spro

Post by spro »

If the Cincinnati is decent and you can handle it, might be the best. It takes different main tooling but collet heads are available. The Bridgeport M is a smaller machine than J heads from after 1956. It isn't quite as large or heavy. The knee width is about 9" compared to 11+" of later ones. The tables are 32" -36". It would have the round ram but an M head isn't going to overwork that platform. Depends upon condition but it is either MT#2, B&S #7 or B3 collets.) . Not driving larger end mills. The Cincy is worth checking out but there could be issues like the weight, drive is fubar or stuff. Something else will come afterwards.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

stephenc wrote: he is under the illusion that brazing up machine tools isn't a big deal .
Blink! Blink!
What planet is he from?
What ANY machine tool doesn't need is high heat applied, and stresses introduced. What would he assume he'd have, even if brazing was successful? A machine such as this isn't worth re-scraping, to restore any semblance of precision.

From your description, I would suggest to him that the machine is now junk, good only for parts---parts that didn't get buggered when it was tipped over. That's an expensive way to learn a lesson, but learn he must.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.