R8 Integral drill chuck

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: R8 Integral drill chuck

Post by RSG »

Thanks for the insight.

So another question - How do you properly mount a drill chuck to a tapered arbor? I used my mill to mount mine by setting the chuck on the table and lowering the arbor, maybe that's why it's out so bad?
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I hold the arbor vertically with the chuck up and then smack the opposite end down onto a solid surface to seat the chuck on the taper.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What Glenn said. I like to use a piece of aluminum between the hard surface and shank, to prevent damage to either.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks guys! I know the Chinese model I have now isn't that accurate but maybe I might be able to get better results if I try your technique.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I don't really see how it could make much difference as long as nothing gets damaged.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found some interesting instructions on mounting chucks on tapers. Basically, you retract the jaws all the way, insert a soft iron bar, and whack the bar.

https://www.accusizetools.com/blog/keyl ... ck-manual/
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:I found some interesting instructions on mounting chucks on tapers. Basically, you retract the jaws all the way, insert a soft iron bar, and whack the bar.

https://www.accusizetools.com/blog/keyl ... ck-manual/
Certainly nothing wrong with the procedure, but there's nothing wrong with using the chuck itself as the hammer, either. A sharp rap on the shank end will seat a chuck more than adequately, and no tooling is required, aside from, maybe, a protective piece of material (like a piece of aluminum) to protect the surfaces being impacted. No need to hunt down a hammer, iron (steel) bar, or to set the jaws in any particular configuration.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.