Ordered a g0704 mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Ordered a g0704 mill

Post by pete »

With some of that luck it will get delivered tomorrow so you'll have the weekend to get a bit of the clean up work done. :-)
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

So ...
Ups truck actually showed up today .. woo hoo

I got as far as getting it set up on the stand , the spindle break in done and for giggles I checked spindle run out ... less then .0005
Then the little woman hijacked my evening with a steak dinner .

First impressions ... the stand is a bit flexible , but it's exactly what I was expecting.
The ways are finished a bit better then I expected after reading the opinions others have gave online .
Travel on all axis is smooth with no obvious tight or loose spots .

And it runs quite a bit quieter then expected .

Tomarow I'll get it pulled apart for a thorough cleaning and I'll take some better pictures as I go along
Attachments
20170623_172153.jpg
pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations on the new mill.I spent enough years pushing a truck and seeing how things get loaded it's nice to see there was no damage. My BP clone had about .008" of backlash in the as recieved condition. It was fairly smooth, but after cleaning and adjustments I got it down to about .004" backlash with no tight spots and it was far smoother. So I'd expect you'll see something much the same. It will be interesting what you find under the table. When these mills first came out they were fairly rough in the areas not easily seen. I've heard they've improved that by quite a bit. The stand should stiffen up a bit once you start loading it up with all the tooling that never seems to end with a mill. :-(

I do know these mills are light years ahead of the Sieg X2 mill I had. Since both the mill I have on the lathe and the BP clone are R8 I can share the tooling. I don't yet have any R8 collets so use an ER 40 set up on both of them. It works, but in my opinion keeping the head as low on the column as possible would work better. I do really like the flexability of the ER's but think R8 collets would be the much better way to go if that's any help.
spro

Post by spro »

This is Super it arrived so well ! You can go into the base with angle iron later to improve its' stability. Pete beat me with congratulations about the smooth move. I wouldn't advise a 6" Kurt on that but with those numbers, a lighter, accurate vise is in order.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Thanks guys :)
I've been wanting a verticle mill for a long time now and I am pretty eager to get it cleaned up and ready to use .

As far as the stand goes , I think once I get it anchored to the floor it will be more then adequate .

I don't think a 6 inch vise would be a good fit either , my 4 inch vise looks like it will be just about the right size . I do plan on buying another vise in the future so I don't have to keep swapping back and forth between the mill and shaper .

I do have one gripe and it's not a big deal .. the t slots . Grizzly advertises it as having 7/16 t slots .
The 7/16 t nuts I have for my shaper don't even come close to fitting they are way to small , I haven't checked yet but I'd bet money the t slots measure 13 mm .
I'll have to fire up the shaper and make a couple t Nuts so I can mount the vise .
pete

Post by pete »

12 mm seems more common. But since I don't have the X,Y table I can't say for sure. Grizzly says 3/8ths but there more likely metric. Possibly 14 mm? I ordered my lathe as a full imperial machine and the feed screws and dials are. It's still metric hardware and the cross slide has metric tee slots. Generaly I've been real happy with anything I've ordered from Little Machine Shop in California. The 12 mm hold down set I bought to fit that cross slide was the one exception. Very poorly made and nothing really hardened that I could tell. I had to use a tap and die on every thread in the set before anything could be easily tightened by hand. They may have or probably have changed suppliers by now but I don't know that for sure. Checking a few tool dealers after that shows anything better in that size usualy runs 3-4 times what a full set of Tecos to fit a Bridgeport would. The good quality smaller metric sized hold down sets are really expensive for the ones I've found. I've seen mention that some profile projectors use those sizes of hold down sets, and any tooling for those seems to have had the prices jacked up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Man. You had a rough day. Got a new mill and then had to eat steak.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Yes sir .. it was a rough day , it wore me right out and I almost didn't get my 8 hours from the stress :)

Today's chores are all finished and lunch Is digesting nicely !
I go forth with a gallon of kerosene and a bunch of rags