Rotex RM-1

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mhawes

Rotex RM-1

Post by mhawes »

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, but have seen in the past some postings for the Rotex RM-1. I JUST bought one yesterday, along with an Atlas 7 shaper. Both machines are in almost unused shape, with the ways still showing new scraping marks, and tight. I've been looking for manuals, parts schematics, and any other documentation for the RM-1. Seems there is little to be found. I saw the website the gent from England has, but haven't heard anything from him yet. I was wondering if someone might have other links to some documentation/manuals I might be able to chase down? Also, if someone has one, any words of wisdom or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Anyway, let me get this out there and watch for any responses. I will be posting more later!

Morgan
pete

Re: Rotex RM-1

Post by pete »

For shaper information both on your Atlas and more generic types try Googleing Kay Fishers Metal Shaper Columns. Lot's of Youtube videos about shaper operation as well.Various other search terms can bring up even more.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

A picture or 2 of the Rotex would be a help . personally never heard of that brand.
www.chaski.com
mhawes

Post by mhawes »

I'll try to get a couple pics of it and post them. From what I've found out, it's a company out of Cali in the bay area, but they don't make mills any longer, just punches. It's not a large machine by any means (about 450lbs) but a nice addition for doing lighter work and experimenting with.
Thanks for the quick relies guys! I'll look up Kay Fishers Metal Shaper and see what I get for the Atlas.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You can get info and pictures of Rotex mills here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/rotex/

Is yours vertical or horizontal?

Steve
rzbill

Post by rzbill »

Hi All,
I know this thread is a few months old but since Rotex threads are rare I wanted to contribute.
A question was posed above about Rotex images.
I see the UK site (above) has added a few images since the last time I looked.
Here are a couple of snapshots of mine. It is an RM-1 Horizontal with a Rusnok 70 vertical head mounted in place of the overarm (which I have).
Rusnok-L.jpg
Rotex-R.jpg
wally318

Post by wally318 »

Hello. Aren't you the lucky devil.
It' a very nice machine. Beautiful condition too.
I looked at/considered these a few years back,
but decided to go a bit bigger. Basically a bit of a
spin-off the Benchmasters that were made in So-Cal. area
a bit earlier on. I hope you enjoy it.
spro

Post by spro »

Very neat machine. The pix are better when expanded (ctrl +) to see the details. It appears to be a precision type of mill. That is easy to say, not a Hardinge but there are elements which took some time to include. The table looks substantial and I think I'm seeing an unusual version of T-slots. That is, round slots. This isn't unheard of, as special grinding and fixtures were made that way. I don't even know how or why but there is a reason.
rzbill

Post by rzbill »

Hi Spro,
Sorry about the T-Slot camouflage in my images. The slots are "T"s although their dimensions are just far enough off that I make my own nuts rather than buy the slot, bolt and clamp kits. They are sized in between 5/16 and 3/8 nuts with 3/8 thread. The "camo" is some plastic tubing from the junk box I had crammed in the slots to keep chips out. It did not work as well as hoped. They have since been removed and another item from the bin (a piece of Lexan) has been cut as a slot cover surrounding the Palmgren vice. I'd like to figure out some way covers, but the method has eluded me so far. Too much stuff in the way.

Wally, I do consider myself lucky. This thing fell into my lap about 10 years ago from a workmate. It has not needed that much TLC until a recent replacement of the X-axis power feed gear. I bought a Boston that was pretty close and did a little machining with the <gasp> Atlas lathe to fit it.