New boring and facing head

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Plastikosmd

Re: New boring and facing head

Post by Plastikosmd »

shaper is a 12, hendy the Cadillac, universal table/vise etc
spro

Post by spro »

Great machines. So it is a D'Andrea ! I sorta cheated by looking up images of automatic boring heads and there it was. "W" ell I knew it was Italian. (right). That is a super unit and I hope it hooks up well/ works fine. There is probably a video of demonstrating the use and capability of this Boring/Facing head but if you make one, I'd like to see it.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I don't see the pictures.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Richard_W wrote:I don't see the pictures.
The first post picture displayed when it was posted, but when more pics were added by succeeding posts, the message you see was introduced. I've sent a PM to Plastikosmd suggesting that changes be made so they can be seen, but he hasn't opened the PM. I have no idea if we'll ever be able to view them.

Sure would be nice if folks hosted on the Chaski board the pics they want to post instead of providing links. All too many pics get lost as circumstances change, making links not a great idea.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

Sorry guys

As you may know, Photobucket is now holding everyone hostage. No 3rd party linking unless u want to pay 400$ per year. I am in the middle of migration
here is a google image of it mounted and me cutting the adapter ring for it to mount

Sadly u have to click links atm

https://goo.gl/photos/3cAMcy3MpRgD7iFY6

Here is a google link to the head mounted on the abene

https://goo.gl/photos/ipKjZTPRfordaapa7
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Plastikosmd, Your links and pics are fine and everyone knows the D'Andrea we are talking about now. When I was searching by your original link to a pic, I found different styles. It appears the later ones have red plastic knobs and traverse handle. So anyway, I like yours. That milling machine looks a peach too. There is definitely similarity to certain Van Normans-which is super also.:)
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

Thk u

I have read that the red handle ones are a bit lighter (not cheaper just lighter.)
This one is solid, as I get older I may have to use the knee to assist in attaching!
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

ok so screw photobucket, trying to do my own thing, hosting myself attempt...

spro

Post by spro »

Worked out just fine. Your resolution was good enough to be expanded many times. That is a super head but don't need to say that. It is amazing how they work. Thanks for picturing it in use.
pete

Post by pete »

I'm as impressed with the head as I am with that Abene. You have some pretty refined tastes in machine tools. I've got a Narex B & F head but it works differently with a stop arm instead of that hand crank. I wish mine was set up like yours and Rich's. The Wolhaupter, Narex and D'Andrea B & F heads all seemed to have taken a drastic price increase in the last 10-15 years so there still must be a lot of precision grinding and hand fitting of the parts maybe? None of them are cheap unless you find a good used one at a great price and most sellers now know what there worth.
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

Thx all!
Here is it functioning (how you adjust boring under power- YouTube link)

Shutting off z axis feed
Unlock
Adjust cut outward
Lock
Turn on knee feed
Bore

https://youtu.be/iSHSnqmZwTA
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

That's some great hardware right there!

It looked to be about the size of a gallon of paint in the first pic you posted.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!