Victoria U2

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downstream

Victoria U2

Post by Downstream »

I recently bought a milling machine, which has been a dream of mine for a long time. It was advertised as a horizontal mill, which it is, but it came with Victoria's standard vertical head.
Currently, the table's elevation control is not functioning and after checking it out, it looks like a bevel gear inside the table needs a shim or some kind of bushing to make it mate with its connecting gear. Any advice?
Attachments
IMG_20170827_194107628_HDR.jpg
John Evans

Re: Victoria U2

Post by John Evans »

English made ,Tony has manuals etc. Parts you are probably on your own for the most part.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/victoria/index.html
www.chaski.com
Downstream

Post by Downstream »

I have seen that site before, but didn't realize he sold the manuals. Thanks, I'll have to get one soon.
spro

Post by spro »

Hi. That U2 appears to be a very capable universal mill. Maybe you got the arbor support for the horizontal arbors, maybe not. Reading about it, the head has the high enough speeds. Power traverse and maybe power knee. Keep us posted ! :)
spro

Post by spro »

Sorry. I mean you Will have power knee/elevation and probably powered traverse. The swivel table can be very neat for bevel gears, using the horizontal arbors.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If the bevel gears are not mating, see which (or both) need to be moved and look for an adjustment or room for a spacer to get them in mesh.

There should be a little clearance (maybe they are meshed tight with a sheet of paper between them, and have some clearance with the paper removed).

If you can get a picture in there to post, it may help us to see what needs to be done.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

I'm sure there are mitre/ miter gears in there. It may have been biased towards one feed to the exclusion of another. Some investigation and work involved because that head has a fixed quill. That's the problem with the heavy ones and power knee/ elevation is mandatory if not highly coveted.
I'm not sure I read this right but the universal dividing head that came with these was smaller. It wasn't a 200 lb monster for good reason. I think it was around 7" swing in our terms. That makes sense in another way on a swivel table.
Downstream

Post by Downstream »

Hey, everyone, so I think I may have figured out a fix until I can fabricate something permanent. I measured the diameter for the elevation jack screw and it's a hair over 2" (52.8mm). What I'm going to attempt is getting a piece of 2" pvc, cutting off the length I need, and give it one longitudinal cut so I can get it around the shaft (this will also let me account for the key way the gear is on). After it's in place and supporting the gear, I plan on securing it with a hose clamp. I will be attempting this Sunday when I get back to it unless anyone thinks this is stupid.

Thoughts/criticisms?

Spro- you are correct, it does have miter gears and it appears it's just the driven gear that needs support as opposed to the one on the shaft the handle turns. I will be posting a picture here the next time I'm under it. Also, as far as I can tell, it has power feeds in all three directions, but I'm missing practically everything needed for horizontal milling to include the arbor support, though I have heard of some people actually making them... Maybe some day I can give it the old college try.
spro

Post by spro »

Okay. PVC would be frowned upon but I think you want the mesh in order to use it. It has to elevate higher with the vertical head. Two different things here, maybe more. There is the compound elevation screw. It is an acme screw within the outer screw. These can work fine in their middle range but at the extremes, can bind. In my little experience it will lock the knee and no adjustment of jibs or anything will change that. It is the timing of that inner screw to the outer one. It is possible that when the mill was dedicated to vertical head without Z quill, it was at extreme range and something had to give. Much better than me can advise.
You already have the ram and believe me, folks do make the outboard supports. Check Ebay and such for an arbor or two before you even get there.
What I mean is that I don't have bad luck but you have to be interested. Many times what I want was already sold before I was ready to make the decision. Somebody else did and sometimes it is relisted at twice the price. That's the way it goes.
spro

Post by spro »

Wondering how that Victoria U2 project is going. Hey it is easier to read than get out there and chop limbs.
Downstream

I have returned!

Post by Downstream »

Sorry! I've been away for a while. There were some medical issues and the milling machine project got move from the back burner to off the stove completely. I will be adding more post soon, hopefully.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Downstream wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 pm Hey, everyone, so I think I may have figured out a fix until I can fabricate something permanent. I measured the diameter for the elevation jack screw and it's a hair over 2" (52.8mm). What I'm going to attempt is getting a piece of 2" pvc, cutting off the length I need, and give it one longitudinal cut so I can get it around the shaft (this will also let me account for the key way the gear is on). After it's in place and supporting the gear, I plan on securing it with a hose clamp. I will be attempting this Sunday when I get back to it unless anyone thinks this is stupid.
No way will you ever be able to spread a 2" PVC pipe enough to fit it around a 2" screw.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi