Milling machine identification

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcarmon

Milling machine identification

Post by jcarmon »

Can anyone help me figure out who made this milling machine?
00J0J_d6U8QAffiJi_1200x900.jpg
BadDog

Re: Milling machine identification

Post by BadDog »

Looks to me like the style of the little Clausing knee mills. I expect that's a copy, which are pretty common, but no idea who made that one.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
jcarmon

Post by jcarmon »

I think its ether a Clausing or a Rockwell. Its for sale on Craig's list, so I guess I'll find out Saturday. You think Its worth 450.00?
spro

Post by spro »

Its not a Rockwell. It looks Clausing quality. $450. is a bargain price to me. Good luck.
Saturday? I hope you put a deposit.
spro

Post by spro »

Well I erred. It isn't a Clausing. I've seen that same type/ model milling machine here and forgot the name or brand. That one is a popular style and of course I can't tell the quality from here. Something about it looks better than average. It should have either R-8 or MT#3 spindle taper.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

It looks much like a "Select" 6x24 mill that was manufactured in Taiwan and sold by a dealer in Bell Gardens, Ca. There were many like that sold under different names, but they are all basically the same; made in Taiwan; precision bearings (SKF, FAG, NSK, etc); hand scraped ways. These are great little mills. They will weigh around 600#. Don't let it get away.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Take a look at the current Grizzly catalog on line. Go to mills. They sold one like yours in the early 1990s and lo and behold they are offering it again. In the 1980s and 90s lots of these were sold under lots of brand names. Probably all came from the same castings. However, the castings were used by more than one machine manufacturer in Taiwan. I think that if you bought from a reputable dealer you would get a pretty good machine. ENCO also sold these.
Cary
spro

Post by spro »

When you look at this one closer, it is bolted to a cast iron base. Forklifts and Johnson bars can move it easier.
jcarmon

Post by jcarmon »

It seems to be an Enco 100-5201, also sold as a Grizzly G1004. But we'll know tomorrow. I'm going to take pictures of the whole machine shop. He said If I'll help him sell all the other stuff on Ebay, he'll give me the mill and all the tooling for free. He did conform that his company bought it new in 1997, it was made in Taiwan, and has less than 100 hours use. They are a sewing machine repair shop, and they made some kind of plates on it.
spro

Post by spro »

I'm very happy for you. Position as this, is rare. You are helping and he knows it. Hope it works well with both of you.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have one from 'Select' but without the hand wheel Z feed that I purchased in the late 1970's.

as described, it is a generic 'made in Taiwan' machine....but is a different color (FWIW)

if it needs any parts that are more than basic bearings and / or belts (or a motor)...be careful.

The electrics on them (at least on mine), were pretty bad and I had to replace switch and rewire.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Davisa

Post by Davisa »

Can you put an X-axis power feed on it?