Brown & Sharp N0. 1 Milling Machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Brown & Sharp N0. 1 Milling Machine

Post by spro »

Great info Ronald. It looks as the O/A was an accessory. So all I mentioned about tie bars is wrong about this machine. The very earliest ones had a stub arbor. As the arbors grew longer there was O/A support but no evident way to affix it to the knee in this transition period.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

~ 65 years later, the #1 was no longer produced, and the #2 light was a 3HP robust machine.
In the photo the machinist is spiral milling using all the supports the machine has.
DSCN9790.jpg
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Thanks, The history of these old machines are just fascinating to me. Not to hack my own post but I acquired a cool old Reed-Prentice Co. Lathe today to compliment my mill. My pictures are not very good, the Lathe is buried in this guys shop right now. I just couldn't pass it up for $100. It has a 4 jaw chuck and a couple of face plates with it plus the change gears. It looks to have about a 14 inch swing. Has had a funky belt drive added to it but did not hurt the Lathe.
Attachments
IMG_7152.JPG
IMG_7153.JPG
IMG_7154.JPG
IMG_7155.JPG
spro

Post by spro »

Yeh Reed Prentiss. A buddy of mine had one of those. Your later pix will do it justice for these were very heavy lathes for their swing. Tremendous stability and raw power. The saddle itself weighed LOTS but there were great wide ways which weren't worn too bad.
spro

Post by spro »

I am totally embarrassed by misspelling Prentice. I received a call while posting and let it go. :(
spro

Post by spro »

We can look at later Reed Prentice gear head lathes, all the shift handles etc. It all started with these early ones.
spro

Post by spro »

Back to the Brown & Sharpe #1; Howzit going ?
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Working on getting it home, it's in Tennesse and I'm in Wisconsin. Hoping my trucker can pick it up next week.
spro

Post by spro »

Okay, sounds cool. He knows what to look for, right? If that tooling is still in the tool crib, it should be banded around so the door won't open. If it becomes too awkward to load as it is... then yes, allow for that. Pay for the time to remove the cast outboard supports. You can shim them later if it comes to that. The beauty is that these are intact/unbroken and that is a long ride ( in possible tricky weather).
I'm almost positive that you and he know what to see at the location. A dividing head was part of the deal. I still imagine two or more dividing heads at the location. The shiny one may not be the one. A slightly crusty one with the "tail" to accept your gears, is the one. Sure, give your buddy a picture of what they look like and be in communication while he is there. Heck, he could send... well anyway, don't overlook the main protections of the universal mill.
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

So here it is, finally got my mill home, I am very pleased with what I got.
Attachments
IMG_7302.JPG
IMG_7306.JPG
IMG_7307.JPG
IMG_7308.JPG
IMG_7309.JPG
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Here are some pictures of some of the tooling and other toys that came with it.
Attachments
IMG_7296.JPG
IMG_7297.JPG
IMG_7298.JPG
IMG_7300.JPG
IMG_7301.JPG
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Couple more pictures.
Attachments
IMG_7294.JPG