Inexpensive DRO

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Inexpensive DRO

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks for your input. I wish my shop was so clean.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I've finally saved the money I need and have decided to pull the plug and order the "Dropro" 2-axis DRO for $780. It appears to be the only DRO using magnetic scales at that price. What say you! Am I missing something? Without a DRO, I can't seem to get repeatability when making multiple parts. Will this solve my problems. Being a hobbyist, I can't justify spending much more for a DRO. I will be ordering the EL300 within the next 2 weeks.
http://www.dropros.com/Electronica_Mill ... _Mill_Kits
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I think you will be pleased with that DRO. My Mill has a DROPro 4-axis system with magnetic scales and has worked flawlessly since I installed it.
My work progresses faster and more accurately. On my lathe too, because of its 2-axis DRO.
Mill U-Axis6 small.jpg
Mill X-Axis1 small.jpg
Mill Y-Axis1 small.jpg
You get the idea. Those pics show the magnetic scales before the shield was installed over them.
The main Z-axis table also has a scale mounted.
The controller allows "summing" of both vertical motions (table Z and quill U), so you always read the distance part-to-tool regardless of which axis is moved.
Very convenient when milling long-z-axis work that exceeds the motion of the quill, and requires moving the table Z.
~RN
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thank you NP317. The pictures are a great help as it gives me an idea of what's involved in the installation. I have a question: If the gibs are either too tight or too loose, does that affect the DRO reading? I'm thinking side-to-side movement of either the saddle or the bed.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 am Thank you NP317. The pictures are a great help as it gives me an idea of what's involved in the installation. I have a question: If the gibs are either too tight or too loose, does that affect the DRO reading? I'm thinking side-to-side movement of either the saddle or the bed.
The loose gibs could cause a change in distance between the mag strip and the reader head, but no change in the reading, because the motion is 90 degrees from that required to change the reading. There is a range of the gap that still reads correctly. It is likely specified in the online information available at DRO Pros.
There COULD be some radial movement from very loose gibs that could change the reading. So adjust the gibs!
I detect no change in the X or Y readings when I try to manually rotate the table.

I have more photos available of all four axis installations, should you wish to see more.
And I'll share any of my installation experience with you as desired. The mounting parts might require some minor drilling or adjusting for correct installation on your machine.
I've been really happy with the DRO Pros units and their installation on my South Bend (from Grizzly) milling machine.
~RN
MillComplete small.jpg
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

NP317 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 pm
The loose gibs could cause a change in distance between the mag strip and the reader head, but no change in the reading, because the motion is 90 degrees from that required to change the reading. There is a range of the gap that still reads correctly. It is likely specified in the online information available at DRO Pros.
There COULD be some radial movement from very loose gibs that could change the reading. So adjust the gibs!
I detect no change in the X or Y readings when I try to manually rotate the table.

I have more photos available of all four axis installations, should you wish to see more.
And I'll share any of my installation experience with you as desired. The mounting parts might require some minor drilling or adjusting for correct installation on your machine.
I've been really happy with the DRO Pros units and their installation on my South Bend (from Grizzly) milling machine.
~RN
MillComplete small.jpg
Thank ypu. That's exactly what I was worried about.
kroll

Post by kroll »

Mr Ron,any progress on your DRO?Any issues,is the delay between the movement and display that big of a deal?Its hard for me to pull the trigger on something like this,will all the positive feedback I shouldn't hesitate.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

kroll wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:04 pm Mr Ron,any progress on your DRO?Any issues,is the delay between the movement and display that big of a deal?Its hard for me to pull the trigger on something like this,will all the positive feedback I shouldn't hesitate.
Yes! I have made a lot of progress installing the DRO to my mill. At first it seemed like it was more than I could handle, but after much planning, measuring and designing, I finally (Sunday) got the X-axis installed. There were some modifications to supplied mounting brackets along with home made fittings. I temporarily hooked it up to the display, turned it on and SUCCESS! it worked as it was supposed to. My next task is to install the Y-axis which should not be a problem. I will take pictures when I'm through and post them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Well done.
Nothing to fear. It gets easier with experience, too.
~RN
kroll

Post by kroll »

Fantastic,glad hear its going well.Taking the time to kinda study it some and read the manual again and again.Looking forward seeing the pics and your write up.