Jet JVM-626

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

MPC Gun Works

Jet JVM-626

Post by MPC Gun Works »

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. After a quick browse around, I’m sure I will like it here.
I just purchased a 1981 Jet JVM-626 benchtop mill. I’m very happy with the purchase and it seems to run great. A good cleaning is in order though.
Does anyone know where I could obtain a manual for this mill?
Any additional positive information would be greatly appreciated.
I will have many questions for this mill but will stick with this one for now.
Matt-
neanderman

Re: Jet JVM-626

Post by neanderman »

Jet doesn't have one online, but I'd send them an e-mail or call them.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
pete

Post by pete »

A 626 mill with the horizontal round column for tilting the head? If so then almost any 626 manual would work. Grizzly should have one online on there website for there version of the 626. These and even the Bridgeports and there clones are all a pretty simple collection of parts other than the BP type head internals and more so for the ones with the powered spindle feeds which you won't have. Take a bit of time and use some thought when re/re any parts and you won't have any issues. Adjust the gibs so you have full travel in both directions without any binding if the machine has a fair amount of center position wear on the dovetails.

It's worth checking to see if the feed screw nuts are adjustable for backlash. Some are and some aren't. Proper way oil does make a difference and is worth hunting it down. Keeping the spindle up as close to the head as possible and locked and then make Z axis changes with the knee when milling helps a lot with the rigidity on any of the knee mills your likely to find in a home shop. I only use the spindle on mine for drilling and single point boring. Any zerk fittings will actually be oil fittings and grease is NOT used. About the only place I can think of where grease might be used is on the gears for the knee up and down movement. There should be a pair of them a bit behind the knees feed dial. If it's got a one shot lube system it's also well worth pulling the table to visualy check that each point the oil is supposed to go to is in fact getting it. The lines can get plugged and it's not that uncommon on a used machine. Run it dry and you'll have scored ways in no time. You could get these mills with either a Morse or R8 spindle taper. Hopefuly yours is the latter. They both work, but the R8 just releases a lot easier so less hamming that the spindle bearings will see.
MPC Gun Works

Post by MPC Gun Works »

Thank you for the input. Mine is an R8. I will inspect as I clean it up.
Last edited by MPC Gun Works on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

R8 would be the best you could hope for. If it's not made in R8 then you won't need it. And for North America at least R8 shanked tooling is a bit cheaper than almost anything you'd find in the MT3. If you don't have one yet? I'd say getting a X axis power feed would be very high on my list even before a DRO. They make a huge difference since hand cranking for everything gets real old real fast. Only guessing but I'd think Grizzls power feed for there 626 should fit but I don't know that for sure.
MPC Gun Works

Post by MPC Gun Works »

Oh yes, on the wish list before a DRO.
spro

Post by spro »

Hi MPCGW. While doing a search on the net for the JVM-626, I found many links to this site. Our search function is good so you can gain more info from years ago. Same is true with P.M. This particular style knee bench top mill had been popular for years as Enco versions too. "626" is sometimes a horizontal mill but JVM means Jet "Vertical" Mill.
MPC Gun Works

Post by MPC Gun Works »

Thanks for the input.
When I figure out how to load pics I will post a few of the mill.
Elapid

Post by Elapid »

Just wondering, but it looks like you already have a Precision Matthews lathe, any reason you went with a Jet mill? When I was shopping for a mill recently I looked at the Jet mills but finally chose PM. Any reason you chose Jet over PM? My new PM-833T mill is made in Taiwan not mainland China and I’m pleased with it so far. I may post some photos if anyone’s interested. I really wanted a vintage Bridgeport mill but since I already put a 1 ton LeBlond lathe on my slab I was afraid another one ton machine would crack my slab.
When I’m standing at my beautiful vintage LeBlond Regal, dazzled by the shiny wheels and levers and dials, listening to the steady chugging of one solid ton of American cast iron, I feel like Casey Jones at the controls of the Cannonball Express.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I really wanted a vintage Bridgeport mill but since I already put a 1 ton LeBlond lathe on my slab I was afraid another one ton machine would crack my slab.
Surely you jest ! 18X20 garage floor in cheap tract home has at least 10 ton worth of machines sitting on it and no cracks yet [10 +years].
www.chaski.com
Elapid

Post by Elapid »

Well it’s just a 4” slab in my workshop and no reinforcement.
When I’m standing at my beautiful vintage LeBlond Regal, dazzled by the shiny wheels and levers and dials, listening to the steady chugging of one solid ton of American cast iron, I feel like Casey Jones at the controls of the Cannonball Express.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Elapid wrote:Well it’s just a 4” slab in my workshop and no reinforcement.
I'll bet my floor is no thicker and rebar HA! Like I said the builder of this house was a cost cutter !
www.chaski.com