Rockwell - Table Feed Motor needed

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

prmckay1

Rockwell - Table Feed Motor needed

Post by prmckay1 »

Friend bought a Rockwell Mill -

He asked me about assisting in getting table feed repaired -- I have an electronics guru that has rebuilt the circuit board/relays -- then found that the armature of the motor is fried - -- wires hanging - etc.

Motor data ---

GE Universal Motor
5P68MA132T

cycles 60/DC
1/7 HP RPM 5000

Any help appreciated
Attachments
15713.jpeg
15714.jpeg
John Evans

Re: Rockwell - Table Feed Motor needed

Post by John Evans »

3 choices -rewind-adapt a different motor- or hope to find on eBay. That is the way I see it anyway ,good luck looking for that Hen's tooth ! LOL
www.chaski.com
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have a Rockwell school sized mill with tilting head. It arrived with the drive box gutted. I bought one of those Enco drive kits and adapted it to the mill shaft with the usual spacer/ washer/ fit-me-up, stuff to make it work. I installed the table limits just short of full extension, and the drive works famously. Being a training machine, my mill arrived without any handles or opearting features that worked. It had been in the corner of a machine shop, and any handle was needed was donated from this machine. It turns out to be a very good, but light machine. It is small in working area, but for my needs it is quite agile. I have an Enco 70's mill drill that does the hog work, by comparison, and is really an inferior machine to run. Not so good as a mill, but a great drill press.

The Rockwell parts are not available when I searched for parts for mine so I would think if you can get rewound it would be the way to go, otherwise, like me change the entire drive unit out, and make it work. Thanks for the advice, Mr. obvious.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Universal motors in that size range are thick on the ground. While there are no standards for mounting them it shouldn't be hard to find one that can be adapted.
pete

Post by pete »

Yep a rewind if it's rebuildable. It may or may not be time to be sitting down when you get a quote from an industrial rewinders. It's still worth checking though. I know nothing about that mill model. I'd guess it goes into a gearbox that does the actual speeds for the table? Motor and drive technology have come a very long way since that machine was new. My guess is a new DC motor and the controller to allow variable speed might be the cheaper option than a rewind unless you get lucky. You'd then have an even better system than the OEM setup.