BIG Dro Problem

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: BIG Dro Problem

Post by RSG »

John - yes I did get the vari speed.

NP317 - I was thinking of doing just that but hesitated, then was kicking myself after but I can always get it.

I will post pics and so on as I go but will start another thread so as to not tramp on Mr. Rons.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

RSG:
Yes, my purchase of a knee power feed was a post-purchase decision, too. It became an obvious thing to do.
I also wanted to make sure I got one that fit my mill!

I look forward to your new thread on your mill.
And Thanks to Mr. Ron for "hosting" us here...
~RN
pete

Post by pete »

Other than the turcite which wasn't available on my mill at that time we have the same mills RSG. :-) I first started out looking pretty seriously at the RF-45 that has the powered spindle feeds just because it weighed a bit less for my shops wooden floor. In the end I knew I'd have much more versatility by going with a 3/4 sized BP clone. I also wanted the variable speed head but it was sold out at Penn tools when I bought mine. In hindsite with the VFD I don't think I'm missing out on anything without that type of head and future maintenence should be a bit less with the step pully's. Since you've just bought it I can't recommend highly enough to pull the table and knee off if you can possibly manage it. While I didn't find a huge amount of grinding dust, there was enough I'm extremely happy I took the extra time to disassemble and wash down all the parts. The whole machine worked far smoother and could be still adjusted much tighter after that without all the shipping preservitive and that bit of grinding dust in it. Going by the specs for new Bridgeports I ended up with just as good for the backlash numbers as a brand new BP is guaranteed to have. My mill and it's not impossible yours was also built by Bemato in Taiwan. They also made at least one model of the Jet mill that doesn't have the power spindle feeds or the head knuckel. At the time I bought mine it was the only 3/4 sized BP type mill I could find in North America that did have those powered spindle feeds. All they did with mine was add a full sized 3 hp 3 ph head to the 3/4 sized machine. So that gives the standard 3.375" spindle O.D. dimension and any acessorys that fit a full sized BP head will fit mine. I sure don't regret buying mine at all, and for the same price as the RF-45 was I still think it's a much better machine.

Apology's to Ron for going a bit OT though.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm always interested in anything to do with milling machines and machines in general; adds to my mental filing cabinet.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

OK! Now that I have the DRO up and running, I've taken some pictures with my cell phone, bought a dongle for my PC (XP), and have to figure out how it works. I had to order the dongle from Ebay because local dealers no longer carry dongles that are compatible with Windows XP.

So far, I cut the frames for my locomotive using the DRO and when I checked it after machining, the dimensions were perfectly right on; one happy camper.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Post by pete »

Always great when things work out as well as expected Ron. I bet those frames got done much quicker as well.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Congrats on the DRO installation.
You are already reaping the benefits of that useful tool.
~RN
RSG

Post by RSG »

Right on Ron!

Get those pics up for us!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.