Magnetic chuck for Milling machine?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Magnetic chuck for Milling machine?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

So, is a magnetic chuck at all useful for workholding on a Milling machine?

Iam thinking it might be a nice thing to have to hold down small, thin pieces of flat bar...

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Re: Magnetic chuck for Milling machine?

Post by Harold_V »

Risky to use. It's important for work to be held rigidly when milling. The slightest movement often results in the tool picking up the part. Broken cutters and scrapped parts are generally the result. That's not to say that they can't be used with success, but it's all too easy to get in trouble. They are successful on surface grinders because of the low cutting pressure, but even on a surface grinder parts have been known to move.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Harold. That’s sort of what I suspected. One of the Metal heads has an extra he talked about giving up. But I haven’t a need except for milling small stuff- which may be even more problematic with really small contact area.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

In the years of machining I've done with mills and lathes, manual and CNC, I've never required the use of a magnetic chuck.
It might be "cool' to have one, but I never had the need.
And they only work with ferrous materials.
'Just my own experience.
~RN
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

In addition to what has already been stated, the flatness of the mounting face is the real issue. a piece of hot rolled steel will move with very little force, while a plate that is ground would take quite a lot to be moved.

Overall a bad idea, that will certainly lead to dramatic issues.
My wheels don't slow me down
JackF

Post by JackF »

I got my 6X18 at auction for $30 JUST in case I ever get a surface grinder. :roll: :wink: In the meantime it is under the bench waiting for me to discover another use for it :wink:

Jack
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You'd need to box the part in the way you would if using glue or double-sided tape.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:14 pm You'd need to box the part in the way you would if using glue or double-sided tape.
Don't encourage readers to do something stupid. Unless left hand cutters are used, the lifting power of a cut will often be enough to pull the part away from the chuck, which no amount of blocking will prevent.

As I said, it can work, but the risk of a mishap outweighs any possible gain.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.